Dual Wall Titanium Cups

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

lamper

Jun 4, 2009
Brighton UK
www.peligra.com
All,

I have been trying to source a dual walled cup to store my Evernew DX stove in.

The Life Venture and MSR titan cup (450ml) single wall cups are about 1mm to small in diameter to have the DX sit inside. This would have been an option with a cup cosy.

Snowpeak also make a 300/450/600ml dual walled cup, but they also suffer from the same dimensions - with the 600ml wide enough but too tall to fit in my kettle - (a Snowpeak Kettle - http://www.snowpeak.com/lux/kitchen/fieldcooker/index.html - 4th from the top).

Evernew make some and also make the stove, but in their infinate wisdom have made the stove to big (by the same dimensions as above) to fit the stove!

There is Vargo but their pot/mug is to tall to fit in the kettle - and I'm not sure I need that much tea!!

I should mention that I have a Snowpeak Trek 700 mug/pot that I use but again it has to be stored separately.

Are their any other manufactures that make 300-500ml titanium mugs - single or dual walled?

Cheers in advance.

Lamper

Last edited:

SimonM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
East Lancashire
www.wood-sage.co.uk
Taken from http://www.backpackinglight.co.uk/product494.asp?PageID=99

This item is shockingly small. As a compacted unit (with or without the associated Titanium burner) this unit folds into itself and takes up less than 50% of a Ti-Lite mug. Leaving plenty of space for a brew kit, tinder and so on.

...it really does, that's how I carry mine!
HTH,

Simon

EDIT:

If you stick with single skinned, you can use it as a (small) cooking pot.

lamper

Jun 4, 2009
Brighton UK
www.peligra.com
Agreed that it fits into a Vargo Ti-lite (ill edit the first post as I forgot about Vargo).

But the Ti-Lite won't fit inside my kettle. I actually already have a Snowpeak trek 700 but it is again too tall.

Keep em coming though peeps - much appreciated.

darrenh

Apr 20, 2010
new forest
I agree with Simon single skinned you can cook in directly but I believe a double skinned mug you cant,I had an MSR one ( not titanium) but have relegated ot to my work cup for that reason.

SimonM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
East Lancashire
www.wood-sage.co.uk
Guys thanks for the heads up. I wasnt planning to cook in it, its for tea. I am just looking for a cup to put in my kettle.

Any ideas?

Sorry, you should have said...I carry a folding mug in my Ti mug, like this one
2a4d_2.JPG

problem solved?

I bought mine in bulk from Ebay a few years ago and now have 1 in every pan set:eek:

No link to this seller, but here you go...
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/SWEDISH-COLLA...Collectables_Militaria_LE&hash=item51923e9aa6

Simon

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Can I ask you why you are fixed in carrying the Snowpeak 700ml kettle when you could just carry the Vargo Ti-lite with the DX inside and a brew kit too? The Ti-lite can be used as a pot and a mug. Are you saying that you want something to store the DX stove inside that will not be used for cooking in that can then be put inside a cooking pot? Can I suggest an alternative? Get a Ti pot/mug for £25 (probably less than anything that would suit your exact requirements) that will take the DX and extra stuff that can be used to cook with and to drink from. Also as someone else said get one of those folding mugs if you need to separate the drinking from the cooking. In an ideal world Evernew would have made the DX to suit their existing pot range which is similar to other manufacturers' pot range. Not an ideal world, unlikely to find something so change your plans to use a different set-up. It is a perfect opportunity to get more gear!!! :D I seriously can't understand why you are not jumping at that opportunity, it is confusing me.

(In case you can't guess I'm a gear freak. I'd have bought a new pot, folding cup and probably a few other items I'd seen in my research in the time it took you to post this thread and read a few replies!)

PS - Please tell us how you are getting on with the DX if you have time and if you are using the Ti meths burner inside. I have heard that the burner is not that effective. Better with a Trangia or other similar burner inside.

PPS - if you need a meths burner to go inside the DX and want to make your own look at the gallery of a guy on another well known outdoors forum he has a wide selection of can type stoves in many styles some of which would fit. He's also kind of an expert on the cans you can use so could probably tell you what make of cola or whatever to make the right size burner. He also made some inwards burning jet holes to make a more compact flame shape and spread for smaller diameter pots such as Ti mugs like Ti-lite and Alpkit's mug of the same design. Pretty neat IMHO.

helixpteron

Native
Mar 16, 2008
UK
I've a set of Snow Peak, Stacking, Twin Wall Mugs and I'm sure that one of the sizes in their extensive range will be perfect for what you want.

Snow Peak's range of stacking, twin wall mugs, here.

I'd be happy to measure the set I've got when I get back, later, if it'll help.

Some, in the size you quoted.

TW-122.jpg
TW-126.jpg
TW-136.jpg

lamper

Jun 4, 2009
Brighton UK
www.peligra.com
I've a set of Snow Peak, Stacking, Twin Wall Mugs and I'm sure that one of the sizes in their extensive range will be perfect for what you want.

Hexi,

Thanks for these. I have seem them myself and quite like the look of them. Agreed they are a little expensive, but they are rather nice looking as well...

Worth a think about and I could make a fold handle holder for it.

Can I ask you why you are fixed in carrying the Snowpeak 700ml kettle when you could just carry the Vargo Ti-lite ........

(In case you can't guess I'm a gear freak. I'd have bought a new pot, folding cup and probably a few other items I'd seen in my research in the time it took you to post this thread and read a few replies!)

PS - Please tell us how you are getting on with the DX if you have time and if you are using the Ti meths burner inside. I have heard that the burner is not that effective. Better with a Trangia or other similar burner inside.

PPS - if you need a meths burner to go inside the DX and want to make your own look at the gallery of a guy on another well known outdoors forum he has a wide selection of can type stoves in many styles some of which would fit. He's also kind of an expert on the cans you can use so could probably tell you what make of cola or whatever to make the right size burner. He also made some inwards burning jet holes to make a more compact flame shape and spread for smaller diameter pots such as Ti mugs like Ti-lite and Alpkit's mug of the same design. Pretty neat IMHO.

Paul_B,

First up - I want to use my kettle as I prefer it. I have and use my Snowpeak Trek 700 which is basically the Vargo mug. I use my kettle as a bow as well as a kettle and I prefer it because its bigger. I just don't like eating out of a cup. I hear you on the ultralight front and I get it, but its not for this setup.

Second - the DX Stove.

Take a look at my review - very high level and not scientific >>> http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=56343

It also contain my mod for the Civi Trangia burner.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Anythanks for tall the help peeps. Gonna order some cheap folding cups - Thanks Simon!

Also gonna order a Tibetan 550 mug - Thanks Shewie - as you can never have to much Titanium!

I'll feed back in case you are interested.

Lamper

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Hi Lamper - I thought you would have a good reason for wanting to keep using your existing kit with the newer DX. I was just clarifying things as we all have different views. I myself bought the Ti-Lite mug/pot thinking it was lighter and now gone back to my old AGG 3 cup pot as its wider, shallower and lighter. It also has a noticeable quicker burn with the same stove and a can that had been used on the previous trip with the vargo so should have been slower to boil. As a committed (or should have been by now) person on the lightweight path I even went to the extent of weighing the two pot systems. Unfortunately for me the AGG with my solid plastic cup (which is the lightest cup I could find) kind of weighs slightly more possibly than the Ti-lite on its own. My scales are a bit duff for measuring down to the 10-20g level. The mug/pot is dual use and I doubt very much the AGG Al pot (hard anodised non-stick) would make a good mug/pot as it is too wide and Al burns the lips more tha Ti.

Anyway Lamper all I can say is I hope you find that system that works for you. At least you look to be going down the good quality route with that gear. I do think in the long term good brands and good quality will save money. Happy camping BTW.

If anyone can let me know of a 750-900ml pot with a separate mug so you can have your brew while your pouch is re-hydrating that weighs less than 100g please tell me. I have a Ti-lite mug that actually weighs 130g possible more without the mesh sack. The AGG 3 cup weighs slightly less than 100g and the plastic mug is about 20g I think. Obsessive trying to cut just under 20g off your kit isn't it?! Aaarghh! Forgot the pot grip! Dilemma! :D

lamper

Jun 4, 2009
Brighton UK
www.peligra.com
Hi Lamper - I thought you would have a good reason for wanting to keep using your existing kit with the newer DX. I was just clarifying things as we all have different views. I myself bought the Ti-Lite mug/pot thinking it was lighter and now gone back to my old AGG 3 cup pot as its wider, shallower and lighter. It also has a noticeable quicker burn with the same stove and a can that had been used on the previous trip with the vargo so should have been slower to boil. As a committed (or should have been by now) person on the lightweight path I even went to the extent of weighing the two pot systems. Unfortunately for me the AGG with my solid plastic cup (which is the lightest cup I could find) kind of weighs slightly more possibly than the Ti-lite on its own. My scales are a bit duff for measuring down to the 10-20g level. The mug/pot is dual use and I doubt very much the AGG Al pot (hard anodised non-stick) would make a good mug/pot as it is too wide and Al burns the lips more tha Ti.

Anyway Lamper all I can say is I hope you find that system that works for you. At least you look to be going down the good quality route with that gear. I do think in the long term good brands and good quality will save money. Happy camping BTW.

If anyone can let me know of a 750-900ml pot with a separate mug so you can have your brew while your pouch is re-hydrating that weighs less than 100g please tell me. I have a Ti-lite mug that actually weighs 130g possible more without the mesh sack. The AGG 3 cup weighs slightly less than 100g and the plastic mug is about 20g I think. Obsessive trying to cut just under 20g off your kit isn't it?! Aaarghh! Forgot the pot grip! Dilemma! :D

Paul,

Sorry my last answer was a little short - I am a lazy typist!

I too am committed to the UL path but some UL gear is just to fragile. We could go back and forth for some time and I reckon you and I over a beer would be there until closing time (and maybe the lock-in) discussing this - Maybe we should arrange that! :)

Now for your cup, check the snow peak series.....

http://www.tauntonleisure.com/titan...um=comparison_shopping_feeds&utm_nooverride=1

http://www.moontrail.com/snow-peak-titanium-multi-compact-cook-set.php

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Lamper don't you know not to feed and addict. Shame on you and me for looking at those sites and the numbers on my credit card. AAAAAARGH! I need to get my car fixed not buy more gear. ;)

http://www.moontrail.com/snow-peak-ti-hybrid-summit.php

I reckon if they sold this pot on its own I could make the lid and get easily under 100g. Titanium too so tough as well. Then I know a shop sellng England footie mechandise that sells silicone England charity style bracelets (I don't see them any more in charity shops as I think trend has gone) that could be used as a lip saver when drinking.

I must admit it is probably better that I never win the lottery as I am pretty much confident that I will need to get my own storage warehouse for gear. My current one (a 3 bed house) is starting to get a bit full and that's without really having the spare cash to buy everything that I need. I am still looking for something along the lines of a good small and very light group cooking kit. I'm thinking a 1100ml or 1400ml at most pot that is UL and a remote can gas stove such as the edelrid Opilio. Only for say two or perhaps three people to boil water in.

BTW what gear can be shared on a trip if everyone only has solo tents / tarps etc.? I can only think of the trowel, the stove and pots. What else? Off topic but entered my thoughts.

TW-122.jpg
TW-126.jpg
TW-136.jpg

wonder if they would be any good to convert to bg meths stoves small fire jet holes round the outside top and a few bigger ones in the inside bottom ????

helixpteron

Native
Mar 16, 2008
UK
Lamper don't you know not to feed and addict. Shame on you and me for looking at those sites and the numbers on my credit card. AAAAAARGH! I need to get my car fixed not buy more gear. ;)

I must admit it is probably better that I never win the lottery as I am pretty much confident that I will need to get my own storage warehouse for gear. My current one (a 3 bed house) is starting to get a bit full and that's without really having the spare cash to buy everything that I need.

Clearly, a logical solution is to buy Peli Cases to store all your gear in, which have the added benefit of being able to help you in fixing your car!
happy0034.gif

It works for me!
happy0054.gif

peliCar.jpg

helixpteron

Native
Mar 16, 2008
UK
wonder if they would be any good to convert to bg meths stoves small fire jet holes round the outside top and a few bigger ones in the inside bottom ????

If the overall size was suitable as a spirit stove, they may be useful, though the twin wall separation is only a few millimeters.

Woodgas stove possibilities seem to be ruled out by the proximity of the inner and outer walls.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE