dual survival

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

jackcbr

Native
Sep 25, 2008
Gatwick, UK
www.pickleimages.co.uk
Just watched the first 2 episodes of this great series. Can't say i fully agree with some of the things they have done, after all they had a life raft with a bright orange roof, but relied on a small fire to attract the attention of a coastguard ship passing by. Personally, if there was two of us, I would of dragged the boat out of the tree line and moved it around so the orange showed up a bit as well as the fire. But then I'm sat on my nice comfy sofa and they are doing it for real. And what do I know, I colour in for a living.

johnboy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com

jackcbr

Native
Sep 25, 2008
Gatwick, UK
www.pickleimages.co.uk
Hi Jackcbr,

To be fair mate we've discussed Dual Survival before....

Yeah, had spotted them, but never seen the programme until now, didn't realise that it had been on in the UK before. No probs, not forcing anyone to comment, just voicing an opinion, but if it's old ground, fair enough. I just find that some well established old posts are sometimes a lot to digest and not always that relevant to comment on now.

I'll get my coat...

topknot

Maker
Jun 26, 2006
bristol
What i want to know is did Dave end up with the 2bob bits after drinking the river water ? or this is another tv program.

Would it not be better if to two film themselves with a camcorder and without the crew.

Will Dave catch meat next week?

Gotte

Nomad
Oct 9, 2010
Here and there
I've only seen the one on the island in Alaska (or is it Newfoundland?). I have to say I really enjoyed it. How many have I missed?

a1993h

Oct 27, 2010
Ireland
Yeah I'm following it too. I have to say I like Cody a lot better 'coz he seems to enjoy the wild a lot more whereas Dave seems to like the whole putting himself in danger aspect.

Jan 21, 2007
norhtumberland
hi all, been watching dual survival as well ,i think it's interesting but a bit hollywood, but you might get a few tips from the show
cody's main web site is interesting, have a look if you have time

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Hi Jackcbr,

To be fair mate we've discussed Dual Survival before....

http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=58699&highlight=dual+survival

http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=57501&highlight=dual+survival

http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=68469&highlight=dual+survival

It's a fun outdoor romp a sort of the Odd couple of survival shows... Staged and set up but fun non the less...

Will there be a series 2??? That is the question...

Don't even hint at using the search function John, you get called 'un-friendly' amongst other things:rolleyes:

I downloaded the series, its fun but a bit too gung-ho-come on man-we can do it man- we could be in danger man etc for me.

Mike8472

Jul 28, 2009
west yorkshire
I'm not feeling it! I find it abit too over the top, the premise of the show is serious but its ended up being all american "high five" and "good job man"
It seems like it is more about these two guys getting on with each other, rather than showcasing survival skills

Ape_Ogre

Tenderfoot
Apr 26, 2010
Southport, UK
Just started watching these this week and found them quite interesting, and as my knowledge is very limited I am learning new things each episode. However I agree with Mike8472 in that each episode is turning into a bit of a 'buddy movie'. So far though a different method of fire lighting in each, which is a nice touch. I particularly enjoyed watching 'Dave' setting up a dozen traps only to hear a pig running past. Sometimes the oldest methods (a big sharp stick) are still the best.

You can just imagine the program makers sitting their saying "If only we could get Ray Mears and Bear Grylls to work together in a survival situation..." Overall though (and considering the general quality of television) I really look forward to it each week.

Ape_Ogre

Tenderfoot
Apr 26, 2010
Southport, UK
As an adendum, not sure about the bare feet thing, but I love the idea of it. I tried a walk in the lakes in bare feet once... and only once. I never wear shoes or socks at home (my mother is half-hobbit) but on a long walk I resort to a good pair of walking sandals or boots.

I had a group of friends in London and a couple of them (computer programmers) refused to wear socks or shoes, their soles were constantly black (probably from using the underground) and they got some very strange looks...

Walking through London barefoot is hazardous enough (as they could both attest to) but through a jungle ?

garethw

Settler
As an adendum, not sure about the bare feet thing, but I love the idea of it. I tried a walk in the lakes in bare feet once... and only once. I never wear shoes or socks at home (my mother is half-hobbit) but on a long walk I resort to a good pair of walking sandals or boots.

I had a group of friends in London and a couple of them (computer programmers) refused to wear socks or shoes, their soles were constantly black (probably from using the underground) and they got some very strange looks...

Walking through London barefoot is hazardous enough (as they could both attest to) but through a jungle ?

I will now always wear boots when out and about... I learned my lesson last year while carp fishing... I was wearing Crocs when I got a take and on running to the rods caught my toe under a fallen tree stump... Split my big toe open, blood everywhere, lucky not to break it.. limped for a week and couldn't put shoes on. even now it still has a large scar.
Feet are just so open to getting bashed, scratched, cut or spiked that a good pair of boots is a must IMHO.
cheers
Gareth

jackcbr

Native
Sep 25, 2008
Gatwick, UK
www.pickleimages.co.uk
You can just imagine the program makers sitting their saying "If only we could get Ray Mears and Bear Grylls to work together in a survival situation..." Overall though (and considering the general quality of television) I really look forward to it each week.

I wouldn't give Bear Grylls much of a chance. I'm not knocking his ability, but in a true survival situation, I reckon Ray would get peckish and just eat him.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE