Dual Survival

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

luckylee

On a new Journey
Aug 24, 2010
birmingham
I think Les is still best from the survival point of view but I enjoy these guys too as their "problem" is closer to what my mishaps are like. I've watched two episodes and I can relate to it at a visceral level.

I think they are not bickering but doing what is necessary to survive and that is to look at all the options. For instance the triple checking of the improvised harnesses and belays for the abseil in the NZ episode. It's really necessary to step back and not to fall victim to "finishing line fever".

Much more in tune with Cody than Dave. I'd feel the same way about Dave as he does. lol
I'm with you mate, you can't beat les stroud, first class.

Melonfish

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 8, 2009
Warrington, UK
Les' shows were absolutely brilliant but you could see it take its toll on him. always felt sorry for him doing those walking shots tho, he'd head up a mountain filming himself from the bottom, come back to pick up the camera and climb it again lol.

this show however looks promising, just watched a clip of the porcupine bit, i like how the survival guy ate it raw and the naturalist wants it cooked :D

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
"...Just wondering if any body has seen any of the eps of this new series yet, and what they think about it..."

I did try to watch them but the 'mood setting' incidental music and the constant camera cut ins and cut aways put me off, maybe one day I will give them another go.

thecalbanner

May 24, 2010
hereford
dual survival is awesome. dave canterbutry has heaps of videos on youtube his channel is called wildernessoutfitters definatly worth checking out.

Thecarotidpulse

Need to contact Admin...
Apr 23, 2009
Ottawa Canada
Hmmm not to turn this into a "Les stroud vs dual survival" topic... but since the gauntlet has been thrown...

I have to stick up for Les. Down to earth, tough, and also *** filming himself***
the times that I've seen him go without an element of survival (shelter, fire etc) it's because he was trying to attain an objective, was completely exhausted and thought he could do without in an emergency.
the episode where he has a buddy he definitely has all the requisite elements down.
I won't condemn Dual survival as some other survival shows have been, I say it's simply a different survival philosophy from different personnalities... and another set of data points! all the more knowlege is all the better! I do wish there was no camera crew... I wish I could see what these two would try using their own skills rather than the "produced" show.

You know that T shirt about the world seen by different religions? these would be the mantras of "the tv masters" in a real situation:

Ray Mears: Use Bushcraft to make a gun, and shoot the deer. (or harvest from the land)
Les Stroud: Use what you've got, and talk to various inanimate objects on the way.
Bear Grylls: if it's there - climb it. if you shouldn't - do it. if it looks at you funny - eat it.
Dave Cantebury: Bring what you're going to use. (i mean who doesn't go hiking with a collapsible bow?)
Cody Lundeen: Take your time, hunt /gather. (i cant' find anything funny to say about the guy, he's got good sense... except that he doesn't advocate preparedness at all - which you NEED to do around here)
Mors Kochanski: Use a Mora knife to build a cabin. Finish by nightfall. (from Forestwalker)

My favourite quote from Dave Cantebury: "i eat red meat from four legged animals!"

A bit of levity... and we're off!

Last edited:
Oct 6, 2008
Cheshire
"Cody Lundeen: Take your time, hunt /gather. (i cant' find anything funny to say about the guy, he's got good sense... except that he doesn't advocate preparedness at all - which you NEED to do around here)"

Er, I haven't seen the show , be doing that in a minute, but I have read these and he seems to be all over the preparedness thing.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/When-All-He...52GK/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1290180094&sr=8-4

http://www.amazon.co.uk/98-6-Degrees-Keeping-Your-Alive/dp/B001RKFTZS/ref=pd_sim_kinc_1

forestwalker

Ray Mears: Use Bushcraft to make a gun, and shoot the deer. (or harvest from the land)
Les Stroud: Use what you've got, and talk to various inanimate objects on the way.
Bear Grylls: if it's there - climb it. if you shouldn't - do it. if it looks at you funny - eat it.
Dave Cantebury: Bring what you're going to use. (i mean who doesn't go hiking with a collapsible bow?)
Cody Lundeen: Take your time, hunt /gather. (i cant' find anything funny to say about the guy, he's got good sense... except that he doesn't advocate preparedness at all - which you NEED to do around here)

Mors Kochanski: Use a Mora knife to build a cabin. Finish by nightfall.

Thecarotidpulse

Need to contact Admin...
Apr 23, 2009
Ottawa Canada
I haven't read his books... so I can't judge.

you know... I'm a tolerant guy from a tolerant city, and I'm all over acknowledging different cultures and supporting them.
I get the whole barefoot thing... i really do. I see every one of his arguments and respect them.
But I'm a Paramedic here... and one of the things we do is search and rescue/disaster stuff all the time.
I don't see anyone in an urban survival setting living with bare feet...

In actually in the wild either. How are you going to stand in a stream for hours on end holding onto a leurre?
aboriginal peoples around the world have been going around barefoot... but tribes around the world have decided to make shoes. Those are the tribes that later went on to create things like Microsoft and sliced bread.

yes there are ways around it... but like i"ve said before: if people like us are in a "survival" situation it's because something went wrong. gear's been lost, our way have been lost, or someone or ourselves are injured.
In situations like these the less things that you have to "make up for" and improvise the better right?

Again I don't know how he is in these books.. but in the show he's like yeah i'm going out in shorts and a sweater and my Mora and that's all I need.
That's not preparedness and it may inspire people to this:

http://www.ctv.ca/CTVNews/Canada/20100304/survival_death_100304/

Again.. not blaming the system for the mistakes of an individual... but hopfully everyone gets my point as a call's coming in!

BOD

.. How are you going to stand in a stream for hours on end holding onto a leurre?

Again I don't know how he is in these books.. but in the show he's like yeah i'm going out in shorts and a sweater and my Mora and that's all I need.
QUOTE]

Standing in a stream with a lure is a technology dependant activity.

Early man would have saved calories and rigged another way of catching a fish and gone off to set terrestrial traps/snares or gone to sleep under a tree.

I think the show explains that a lot of technology cocooned people get lost without proper equipment because they have understaimated the environment.

That's why these guys have limited kit. We are then presented with two approaches - improvising with what you have (DAve) and carrying the paleo-technology in your head (Cody).

It would be a dull show to watch them set up tents and boil water on a gas stove.

Or have I misunderstood you?

Thecarotidpulse

Need to contact Admin...
Apr 23, 2009
Ottawa Canada
So the funny thing is that I woiuld totally watch a show about people camping in tents and boiling water... it's all about being out there.

All in all a very well constructed and well put post.
I think you've nailed the issue, and the intention of the dual nature of the show.

By the same token, it takes a lot of research and experience in an environment to be able to resort exclusively to aboriginal methodology. A lot of people get in trouble because they overestimate their skills and energy level and underestimate their environment.

I also think that region specific indigenous skills only transcend environments to a certain degree. Bushmen are content walking around with 3 sticks and are able to feed themselves and clothe themselves, but you will never see a native Canadian go for a trip without an axe (and that's including stone age)
What i'm going towards is that it's a bit unfair to take someone who's a master of one environment and transplant him to another. Which is another reason for the partnership I suppose.

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
I've been watching this on discovery,
It's made it out to saudi at last.
I've been enjoying it.
I have to say though, Cody has studied Mors Kochanski.
I'm sure they were using a supershelter in one episode.

bikething

May 31, 2005
West Devon, Edge of Dartymoor!
I have to say though, Cody has studied Mors Kochanski.
I'm sure they were using a supershelter in one episode.
It was using the same principles, just using an uprooted tree instead of a framework of bent saplings.
When I was out in Canada on one of Mors' courses last year he did mention Cody a couple of times... Maybe they've met... or maybe they've just read each others books :dunno:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE