Drying lemon.....help

Pignut

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 9, 2005
Lincolnshire
Ok, I am loving lemon and ginger tea (with honey and a dram on occasion)

I dried a load of ginger in my de-hydrator as I saw some on the cheap in tesco..

I also see lemons cheap in there all the time... Anyone know how to dry these for a tea?

The Big Lebowski

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 11, 2010
Sunny Wales!
I would personally just put them on a ceramic plate in front of a warm air blower... Or use your de-hydrator.

A sprinkle of sugar (caster or molasses) before drying should slightly candy them, improving the taste of your brew.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
The peel dries better than the skin mate.

Makes better tea too

You can dry the whole lot in slices though - just slice thinly and put in the dehydrator

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
You can sugar dessicate them in thin slices and the resultant syrup's nice on sponge puddings too :D

BR's spot on about the peel though. If you pare it off as finely as you can and chop it small it can be dried like that (loses a lot of the oil zest that way though) or you can extract the oil (they used to do this with all citrus fruits, just press on it agin something hard and use a sponge to soak up the oil) and add that to you tea leaves. It infuses through them quite nicely.
That said, dried peel left in the tea tin just like we leave a vanilla pod in the caster sugar jar, scents the lot quite nicely :)

cheers,
Toddy

salan

Nomad
Jun 3, 2007
Cheshire
I have successfully dried a whole lemon. I followed what some eastern friends said. Basically I left it in my drawer at work!
After a couple of months, I have a whole dried lemon!
They use them in cooking a lot and when you break into one the whole room fills with lemon.
I didn't do anything special, but did it slowly.I intend to do some more as I believe that they will keep for years providing they are kept dry.
Alan

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I usually end up with the occasional brick hard browned lemon every couple of months, and those end up in the compost heap.......nice one Salan, we'll give that a go instead :D

cheers,
Toddy

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE