Dry Jerky

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

JM

Forager
Sep 9, 2003
Left
[another one taken from OM,which can be of interest here]

I to day decided to make my usual beef jerky, here aresome picture and a recipy:

You need beef, a good knife, some fish sauce, some soya sauce (mine is mushroom soya sauce, a little garlic, and jeera (cumin).

Cut the beef thin, mixt it with the garlic, jeera, and sauces. Let the beef suck the mixt...
Cut thin layers, 2/3 mm max and across the muscles fibres, else it is too chewy.

dsc02802.jpg

what you need, mushroom soya sauce, garlic, jeera, nuoc nam (fish sauce)
dsc02803.jpg

marinating, count a 1/3 to 1/3 liter nuoc nam per 2kg of beef. best is to taste.
dsc02805.jpg

Lay it on the dryer clays, or in the owen, and let dry. I dry it totally, as it preserves better and is lighter to carry, that is why I cut it thin!
dsc02807.jpg

end result:
dsc02812.jpg

2kg of beef weighting arround 500 grams...
dsc02814.jpg

Being totally dry, it can sustain a lesser quality of meat, here I used some hashed hambuger destinated parts.

It is nowhere near traditional, but it is not chewy (crispy instead) and extremely light.
That is actually the point, think of it as special NASA dehydrated food with a taste ;-)

Use: you can eat it as it is, crispy flakes of beef, or crumble it to add to a stew, or to bread or field bread, it will do well as it is salted and spiced. I prefer not to add peppers, and carry the hot spices separately.

It preserves extremely well for an extremely long time, up to 6 month at ambient temperature and no special care. It is not cooked so the nutritive value is at it's best.

People that do not have a dehydrator can use a convection owen at 40 degres C, hanging the jerky to the grills, or laying it flat, for a little more than 8 hours. Never go over 60/70 C as it is a cooking temperature for meat.

Reactions: JonnyP

JM

Forager
Sep 9, 2003
Left
It keeps for some 6 month in a sealed bag, but then, here is rather dry, and I never had any past 6 month, so I won't bet on it lasting longer, actualy, having it past two days is a sign of incredible self control ;-)

The white things are the trays of the dehydrator. As I said, you can do the same in a convection owen at 40 degrees or decongelation mode (NOT a microwave, a convection owen, with air flowing inside ;-) )

BTW, marinating is a few minutes, half an hour max, time for the beef to suck the nuoc nam and soja sauce.

When make it, the fish sauce/ nuoc nam may take your nose and smell the fish a lot, but there is nothing of this taste in the final product.

Moonraker

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 20, 2004
Dorset & France
I made some of JM's recipe jerky last year and it was truly delicious :)

Really worth having a go and really easy to do, just remember to use best quality (sirloin, fillet is best), fresh meat and keep it hygenic.

I used s/s skewers to hang it from over the oven racks. Now I dry it all over the log burner as it's free ;)

My personal favourite is a similar mix but with cracked peppercorns bashed into the meat and tabasco to pep it up some more. Also a bit of cinnamon and allspice powdered.

Couple of photos:

All prepared and drying in a low heat with the oven fan on. Small gap kept open on oven door to allow water vapour to escape. The smell is lovely ;)

nat-jerky_oven.jpg

Detail of the finished product. If you can resist for more than 2 days I will be amazed as home made jerky is soooo more-ish :D Note the cracked pepper... yum.

nat-jerky_detail.jpg

I also tried it with some maple syrup once to add a little sweetness but after 2 weeks it was covered in green, luminous mound :eek: So best to avoid sugary things and ensure it really is dehydrated to prevent bacterial growth.

Happy jerking ;)

JM

Forager
Sep 9, 2003
Left
Ah Simon, your additions seem very fine to me. ;-) Once I will have to marinate some in sirracha.

Obviouly personal preferences dictate what you can use.

Just the rule is: it must be salty enough, and contain some spices to stop bacteria and moisture growth.

JM

Forager
Sep 9, 2003
Left
nuoc nam or nuoc mam is the cambodgian/vietnamese term, the thai produce some too...
nem sauce, salted soja sauce, worshester sauce, oister sauce, even 10% salted water would do, but I find the nuoc nam gives a great final taste (against all odds!)

BTW, I have tried porc and veal and they do fine jerky too, but I prefer beef.

JM

Forager
Sep 9, 2003
Left
Actually, nem sauce may not be so great for the jerky, because it is 1/3 nuoc nam, 2/3 water and a good load of added sugar, garlic and peppers.

Nuoc nam has the advantage to contain little sugars. Some also sell shrimp sauce, which is very close to nuoc nam, so close that I can hardly distinguish them.
The one I used shows a label with 67% anchovies, 27% salt, 5 % sugar, made by "cock brand", it is a clear liquid, avoid the rarer ones that contain fish particles in suspension, as they are strongly "fermented fish" tasting , yuuuck, and have less use!.

When I do asian veggies with a wok, I generally use nuoc nam, to salt, as the taste at the end is much better and neutral than that of soya sauce (to me but I still put a little mushroom soya sauce). Great quantities are going here in salads and woks, but it is fine, they sell it by the liter ;-)

Nuoc nam based diet is beleived to be one of the reasons vietnamese, cambodgian and thai women are little subject to osteoporosis when ageing, because of it's high level of salts other than NaCl, including magnesium, calcium and iodin salts.(it is what I once read, don't take it for granted either).

nickg

Settler
May 4, 2005
Chatham
tomtom said:
Good thread JM :You_Rock_

does anyone know know what the british equivilant of 'nuoc nam (fish sauce)' would be!?

You can get Nouc Mon over here in chinese food shops but oyster sauce will do every bit as well, also anchovy sauce or gentlemans relish or a mixture of light & dark soy plus worcestershire sauce is also great. Swarz spices do a mix of peppercorns and dried chillies in a jar that also is a mill and that works brilliantly on jerky. Mine usually go in around 2 days as well.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE