dry bracken for tinder

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Brocktor

Banned
Jul 25, 2006
uk
i have tried using this on a number of occasions but always fail. it just does not burn for me, i choose the most dead bracken i can find and the most dry, even dry it for a couple of hours in my pocket but still no luck. anyone know what is going wrong?

Pignut

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 9, 2005
Lincolnshire
I have never had trouible lighting the stuff, however it is smokey and not brilliant stuff

Pignut

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 9, 2005
Lincolnshire
Brocktor said:
flame from match or lighter

The leaves of the bracken are much easier to light, the stem just tends to smoulder.

Cant think why you should be having trouble lighting it with a match

dommyracer

Native
May 26, 2006
London
I can't think why you are having problems either.
Gather a bunch together, hold the stem end and put a flame to the leafy end.

If its nice and dead and good and dry it should go up with no problem.

Goose

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 5, 2004
Widnes
www.mpowerservices.co.uk
I find it good stuff to get a flame from a charcloth ember.
Get a good bunch of the brown leaves/fronds, obviously dry, and bunch them all together. If you just light a frond it burns too quick. Or strip the leaves/fronds from the stems and have a big pile, be careful though the stems can cut you if you drag your hand along them, use gloves!

Longstrider

Settler
Sep 6, 2005
South Northants
I find dead, dry bracken to be about the commonest stuff I use for getting flame from a coal whether I'm using the bow-drill or the flint and steel. I use it because it rarely lets me down and it's easy to gather at almost any time of the year.
I normally gather a good sized bunch of the leafy bits (leaving the stalks alone and just picking the leafy bits off them as I gather) so I have a bunch about the size of 2 fists. Then I'll pick a half a dozen or so dead fronds whole, breaking them off just below the leafy bits so I don't gather too much stalk, and use these larger pieces to hold the finer material in a bunch.
A coal set into the middle of the finer stuff will soon blow to flame, and you can support the finer stuff and keep it all together by using the more stalky sections gathered last.
Hope this helps.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE