Dry bags

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

gregs656

Nov 14, 2009
West Sussex
Decided to invest in a set of dry bags as a way to keep my gear separate and organised in the pack and provide an extra bit of water proofing. Question is, which sizes to people find the most useful, particularly for clothes, a long weekends worth; 3-4 days.

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
Decided to invest in a set of dry bags as a way to keep my gear separate and organised in the pack and provide an extra bit of water proofing. Question is, which sizes to people find the most useful, particularly for clothes, a long weekends worth; 3-4 days.

Depends on the weather etc., I use four, all different sizes, because I'd rather have the options. The biggest of them is only about 15 litre I think. I only use them when I know the weather's going to be bad, otherwise I just use a couple of bin liners or something. I only keep base layers in them, if a woolly jumper gets wet either I wear it wet or I take it off. If you have a reasonably waterproof pack, a small dry bag can keep a small amount of wet stuff in your pack from making a large amount of dry stuff wet. So for example you can wash a few things when you have the opportunity and dry them later.

Aldi have some dry bags on sale tomorrow, 25th April 2010:

http://www.aldi.co.uk/uk/html/offers/special_buys3_13907.htm

They're probably too big for my purposes but I plan to take a look at them at my local store, if they have any in. You can't be certain they'll have stock of the things that they advertise; the staff tell me they get what they're sent, they can't order what they need. I don't know if it's like that at other Aldi stores.

gregs656

Nov 14, 2009
West Sussex
Warm weather. I would like to use something a bit more durable than bin bags.

It's the organisation side of things really. I think the size you mentioned, 15L, would see me ok for most things - that's PLCE side pocket territory and you could easily pack clothing items into one of those.

Tor helge

Settler
May 23, 2005
Northern Norway
www.torbygjordet.com
I use dry bags a lot. I have a few of them ranging from 1.5 litres to 25 litres.
For clothes I use a 15 litre bag. I don`t need any bigger.
I usually don`t change clothes when out for just 3-4 days.
The smaller bags I use as a "canteen" and for my fire kit.
The other bags are used for food, blankets and so on.
Different colors on the bags are a plus, as they are easy to recognize in the rucksack.

Tor

Greenbeast

Tenderfoot
Sep 21, 2009
Northiam, East Sussex
i bought the medium (19l) and large (36l) Exped waterproof compression bags.

Only used them briefly, the 19l takes a full towel, and full set of clothes and compresses well (i take this canoeing) and the 36l takes my ex-army arctic bag and pillow and also compresses well.

Kerne

Maker
Dec 16, 2007
Gloucestershire
I use realtively small exped bags - 3, 5 and 8lt. I prefer lots of little bags to a big one so tend not to use one as a waterproof rucksack liner. FAK and some other little stuff in the 3 lt. Sapre clothes in the 5 lt (I don't take much spare clothing - preferring to wear the same stuff and smell "natural":)) I put my sleeping bag in the 8lt bag. I'm thinking of getting a couple more as they are the business - especially now that I am using a canvas rucksack which is probably not a s waterproof as its modern counterparts.

Last edited:

Logical

Tenderfoot
Mar 29, 2010
Scotish Highlands
You talking about drybags as in drysacks?

I had an idea to get a 65L one or similar and line a rucksack with one.

The reason is that i go kayaking often at a local beach but have to use my rucksack as its the only bag i have big enough to carry all my gear. Its a pain on the way back if i get sand or too much water in and all over my bag.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I've got more dry bags than I know what to do with at the moment, mostly Exped in one form or another but also the Sea to Summit range are becoming favourites. They do some with an eVent panel in the bottom so you can squeeze out even more air for packing, also the compression strap models of the same are good.
Size wise I use the little 1L for clipping on my canoe thwart and keep my cigs, car key and a camera in it. I use the 5L for my hammock, carabiners and straps, the 8L for my tarp and cordage and the bigger ones for spare clothes etc. A spare top, change of trousers and spare undies for three days, wool hat, gloves and headover all go nicely into the 13L.

gregs656

Nov 14, 2009
West Sussex
I'm thinking of getting a small one for odds and sods, a 10L or so one for Bivvy and Sleeping bag liner as I have not got stuff sacks for either of those. 15L one for clothes and perhaps a 20L one for my sleeping bag. That should do me ok. I might buy them once I get to the states.

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
Aldi have some dry bags on sale ... 25th April 2010 ... probably too big for my purposes but I plan to take a look at them at my local store, if they have any ...

Yep. Too big. Waaaay too big. I haven't got a pack that would take a full one (the wife has:)). And heavy. Thick PVC, not waterproofed nylon like my others. I think they'd be OK to take clothing for a week's trip on a wet boat.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I think they'd be OK to take clothing for a week's trip on a wet boat.

Yeah they're a great bag for paddling with. I've been using one regular for day trips and although it's taken some hard knocks along the way it shows no signs of failing yet.
Fine for a canoe but you wouldn't want to use one inside a pack.

Muddy Boots

Settler
May 27, 2009
warwickshire
Yeah they're a great bag for paddling with. I've been using one regular for day trips and although it's taken some hard knocks along the way it shows no signs of failing yet.
Fine for a canoe but you wouldn't want to use one inside a pack.

What he said.

I've got four of them for canoe trips and they are pretty robust.

godfather

Nomad
Oct 28, 2003
Hertfordshire
I use the eVent ones and I must say they are brill. easy to use with great compression and they are waterproof. Sadly this was tested when a tent leak occured but my clothes were dry!

Mosnan

Tenderfoot
Apr 25, 2008
Leeds
I've just been to aldi in leeds and picked up a yellow one for weekend canoe trip.
I only go about once a year so thanks to the person who pointed the aldi deal out as i nearly spent £25!
I've just managed to stick all my clothes, waterproofs and sleeping bag in there - perfect for what I needed.
They seem pretty good for the price aswell

Nicolas

Meanwood Aldi have loads in for any locals
:)

Old Bones

Settler
Oct 14, 2009
East Anglia
I've just bough two of the Aldi bags - PVC coated, very yellow, and pretty good for £6.99 each. Not Ortlieb, but it will do for most of us. 44 litres is a bit big for sleeping bags, etc, but good as a sack liner. I'm tempted by the Alpkit bags - I've had a great service from them before, so a smaller bag from them might be next.

dasy2k1

Nomad
May 26, 2009
Manchester
dont know about the aldi ones but i use a fair few exped ones of differnt sizes including one with compression straps for my sleeping bag...

they are much thinner, lighter and cheaper than the ortlieb ones but unless you plan on dunking them in a river just as good

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE