Dry Areas at the Moot

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

charliefoxtrot

Sep 9, 2011
North Lancs, UK.
Not been to the moot before. What's the crack with getting gear from the vehicle to camping location ? I'll be in a 4x4 pickup with MT tyres, will I be allowed to get as near as poss to my spot ? If we're all restricted to keeping vehicles in the car park, is there any mileage in bringing a hand cart or something to get heavy gear, water containers etc to camp site ?
Cheers,
Andy McC

Ahjno

Vice-Adminral
Admin
Aug 9, 2004
Rotterdam (NL)
www.bushcraftuk.com
Not been to the moot before. What's the crack with getting gear from the vehicle to camping location ? I'll be in a 4x4 pickup with MT tyres, will I be allowed to get as near as poss to my spot ? If we're all restricted to keeping vehicles in the car park, is there any mileage in bringing a hand cart or something to get heavy gear, water containers etc to camp site ?
Cheers,
Andy McC

Vehicles are restricted to the carpark. Paths / road leading further into the campsite will be closed. Only Staff will be driving around with a Landy for bringing in firewood, etc. Bringing in a hand cart would make you end up with a whole lot of new friends ;) - so go for it I'd say.

See you in a few days!

Lupin Rider

Mar 15, 2009
uk
Vehicles are restricted to the carpark. Paths / road leading further into the campsite will be closed. Only Staff will be driving around with a Landy for bringing in firewood, etc. Bringing in a hand cart would make you end up with a whole lot of new friends ;) - so go for it I'd say.

See you in a few days!

Ahjno i dont think that is right. What has changed then as the last three moots we have been able to drive down to the pirate ship area and deep into the wood to park right by where many of us camp.

What you are describing works for those camping by the parachute but not those at the other end.

Tony please clarify.

John

Seoras

Mod
Mod
Oct 7, 2004
Bramley, Hampshire
Johan is quite correct John. From what Tony has said after speaking to the warden is that the road down to the Pirate ship has become impassable.

Seemingly even landrovers have become bogged down so bring the trolley just in case.

Cheers

George

Lupin Rider

Mar 15, 2009
uk
Tonys post above says 4x4's will probably be okay. You are saying the track is closed.

Definitive position would be helpfull for those who have always camped at that end and who own 4x4's.

It could be a ground clearance issue in which case you avoid grounding out by not following the ruts or a mud/traction issue which boils mostly to diflocks/tcs wizzardwry. Last year there must have been the twenty odd tents and cars at the far end. To have instead park all these by the small car park we have potentially chaos brewing methinks.

Personally the thought of hand carrying everything from the pickup to the end of the wood seriously affects the faff of setup with a heavly pregnant wife and two very young kids. Preference by far is to drive in if possible. Hence my questioning.

What would be good is a clear report/photo posted here once you guys get to see it and decide if a 4x4 can/cant/could/might never get down. If a 110 can id expect the ranger or other pickups to be able to as well.

John

Lupin Rider

Mar 15, 2009
uk
Thanks george that will be helpfull.

Stuck landy described as ground out or as bogged. One is driver error miscalculating ground clearance the other stuck in mud. One can do something about the former not the latter as easily.

If a barrow is needed then a barrow is needed.

Cheers

Lithril

Administrator
Admin
Jan 23, 2004
Southampton, UK
buckshot said:
If I'm the lightest mod there's something wrong and we're all in trouble!
Hmmm, Tony, Ogri and Me.... Suppose it depends on who gets there first out of you, Sargey, Ahjno and Seoras....

charliefoxtrot

Sep 9, 2011
North Lancs, UK.
All useful info ta. I've got waffle boards in the back with the other recovery gear but maybe I'll bring a wheelbarrow as well !

A bit OT I know, but as I'm new to this I could do with a hand. My usual camping style is 'heavy', think mostly milsurp gear, canvas tent with woodburner, big canvas shelter tarp, gas hob, ammo-box barbecue/fireplace etc. I mostly use this in wild locations, fields etc where I can just park up next to an open space, unload what I need and setup next to the van. I've not used it in heavily wooded area before, nor do I own a hammock.

Could someone describe the ground conditions and vegetation at Merthyr Mawr as I'm not certain my usual setup will work. eg. are there open bits of level ground in the wood suitable for tents ?

Also I'm not able to get to the moot until part-way through due to another event I'm going to, does it tend to get full-up, or should I still be able to find a spot after everyone else has arrived ?

Cheers.

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
John Fenna and others would say that sounds a bit like my setup Charlie :rolleyes::rofl:

The ground is almost pure sand so very free draining. There's lots of pretty level spaces for setting up in amongst the woods... though you might have to hack your way through the himilayan balsam which infests the site to clear a space but that doesn't take much effort :)

Last edited:

charliefoxtrot

Sep 9, 2011
North Lancs, UK.
Thx Mesquite, 'free draining' sounds luxury, I've seen a few muddy camps this year !

If you see a tall bearded ginger bloke get out of an odd-looking VW Syncro on the Monday night, looking a bit lost, dragging a huge pile of green canvas behind him, that'll be me !

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
Thanks george that will be helpfull.

Stuck landy described as ground out or as bogged. One is driver error miscalculating ground clearance the other stuck in mud. One can do something about the former not the latter as easily.

If a barrow is needed then a barrow is needed.

Cheers

I expect that if you're half competent you'll be ok, if anyone with a 4x4 wants to go down the back that's no problem at all, if there's a few then you can pull each other out if there's an issue :D
If it is fine in the 4x4 then there's plenty will appreciate help getting gear down that end.

Someone said about a tractor..The estate has nothing to do with the camping any more so that's not a very viable option.

I'm sure 4x4's will get down there. People in cars will need to park conscientiously so that we can fit all the cars in the main parking areas.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE