Dry Areas at the Moot

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

R.Lewis

Aug 23, 2009
Cambs
It seems that weather is predicted to go back to normal for 2012 next week, i.e. wet,wet,wet. We are taking our freshly Fabsil'd 'chute so can add that to dry areas for lessons if needed. Never hung one though so may need some pointers/help!!!!

Just thought I'd add that if Mods are trying to plan for the wet....

Imagedude

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 24, 2011
Gwynedd
If it ain't rainin' it ain't trainin'. I hate this warm weather, roll on the storm clouds.

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
It seems that weather is predicted to go back to normal for 2012 next week, i.e. wet,wet,wet. We are taking our freshly Fabsil'd 'chute so can add that to dry areas for lessons if needed. Never hung one though so may need some pointers/help!!!!

Have a look at Waylands description of how to hang a chute

I do it exactly the same way though I used to use a throw bag to get the rope up in the trees. I've just moved to using a catapult the same as Wayland but I bought these off of ebay to use on my shot line.

Last edited:

Ahjno

Vice-Adminral
Admin
Aug 9, 2004
Rotterdam (NL)
www.bushcraftuk.com

Just thought I'd add that if Mods are trying to plan for the wet....

Nice one mate goodjob Passed it on to the Boss :)

Have a look at Waylands description of how to hang a chute

I do it exactly the same way though I used to use a throw bag to get the rope up in the trees. I've just moved to using a catapult the same as Wayland but I bought these off of ebay to use on my shot line.

We normally use the lightest Mod around ... Rope around his waist and up he goes, if he likes it or not ;)

Lupin Rider

Mar 15, 2009
uk
from my direct observation of the process last year (of before ?) it was a comedy of faffing to get the main chute up.

(what the feck is going on with my posts? (have i a bug on my mac?)

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
Last year we just threw the line over, no problem, and the year before I think, Matt has taken the skin off the insides of his legs before but that's fine, we all enjoyed watching.
getting the chute up will be fine. We'll have areas with tarps up for teaching so that will be fine.

The forecasts I'e looked at say light rain for the most part so I'm not too worried, I've been told the track down the side is impassable because tractors have been down there when it was really wet, 4x4's will probably be ok.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Last year we just threw the line over, no problem, and the year before I think, Matt has taken the skin off the insides of his legs before but that's fine, we all enjoyed watching.
getting the chute up will be fine. We'll have areas with tarps up for teaching so that will be fine.

The forecasts I'e looked at say light rain for the most part so I'm not too worried, I've been told the track down the side is impassable because tractors have been down there when it was really wet, 4x4's will probably be ok.
Are you refering to the track I got bogged in last year? :(
If so can someone help ferry my kit down to Dingly Dell in a 4x4?

Lupin Rider

Mar 15, 2009
uk

Tony do you mean the track road to where the pirateship is? Down where we pitch to take the noisy kids to be away from those that naughty corner till late (and keep them away from those that cant hack the child induced 4.30am starts!)

Have added a tow rope to my pile of stuff.

In fact it might justify the truck im now driving (a little...)

John

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
Tony do you mean the track road to where the pirateship is? Down where we pitch to take the noisy kids to be away from those that naughty corner till late (and keep them away from those that cant hack the child induced 4.30am starts!)

Have added a tow rope to my pile of stuff.

In fact it might justify the truck im now driving (a little...)

John

Yeah, that's the one and that's a good description :D I've been told that they tried to fill it in but it doesn't work, they've had a landy ground on it as well so I've no real idea what it's like other than bad. I'll be around some of the time and can help people move stuff down, we'll need to be setting up the first day so there's not going to be a lot of time.

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Are you refering to the track I got bogged in last year? :(
If so can someone help ferry my kit down to Dingly Dell in a 4x4?

Both of us will need help, especially with all the communal kit I've got for us :rolleyes:

I'll be around some of the time and can help people move stuff down, we'll need to be setting up the first day so there's not going to be a lot of time.

Any chance of speaking to the estate to see if they could have a tractor and trailer around to help with the ferrying of kit?

Last edited:

R.Lewis

Aug 23, 2009
Cambs
We drove down that track last year. But had already decided no way this year! Our current car is way too low for that track! I take it getting to car park is still ok? Am a little concerned.

Lupin Rider

Mar 15, 2009
uk
Id borrowed a defender last year and towed a pal in in a transit. Would have been easier if he had taken off his handbrake...

Ford ranger for this year. Wonder how the roadbased wrangler hp tyres will do?

Perhaps by friday you guys will have whittled a bridge over the holes...

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE