Driving Theory Test

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

NetFrog

Forager
Jul 17, 2011
Scotland
Really? Never knew that. Must check out the wording in my policy.

If you find out otherwise please let me know - I sat in the insurance office with all documents, and everything I thought I needed PLUS my friend there that I wanted to get insured, and they said NO.

Was most annoyed, seems a very silly rule. If I own the car, why can someone else not be the initial insuree?

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Really? Never knew that. Must check out the wording in my policy.

I'm not sure (there or here) but I think the general idea is that YOUR insurance covers you to drive any car which is legally roadworthy. If the car doesn't have it's own insurance then it's NOT legally roadworthy. Kind of a catch 22.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
If you find out otherwise please let me know - I sat in the insurance office with all documents, and everything I thought I needed PLUS my friend there that I wanted to get insured, and they said NO.

Was most annoyed, seems a very silly rule. If I own the car, why can someone else not be the initial insuree?

Might it be that particular insurance companies policy? If so try another company.

Loenja

Settler
Apr 27, 2008
forest row
i just passed mine a week ago, its really not that hard, took me a week of revision to get there (earliest test i could book was 2 weeks) i never failed a practice. just read the book, then accept that as the highway code and then answer the questions accordingly

NetFrog

Forager
Jul 17, 2011
Scotland
I am sure it is not hard at all. However it has been a long time since I have had to study, and there are certainly some stupid questions. I think I will pass. There are about 15% of the questions I am guessing, which means I need to get 60% of the guesses right. With a little study tomorrow I can narrow that to 10% and a 5% fail = a pass. :)

i just passed mine a week ago, its really not that hard, took me a week of revision to get there (earliest test i could book was 2 weeks) i never failed a practice. just read the book, then accept that as the highway code and then answer the questions accordingly

georann

Feb 13, 2010
Warwickshire
www.slice-of-fire.co.uk
I am sure it is not hard at all. However it has been a long time since I have had to study, and there are certainly some stupid questions. I think I will pass. There are about 15% of the questions I am guessing, which means I need to get 60% of the guesses right. With a little study tomorrow I can narrow that to 10% and a 5% fail = a pass. :)

If you put as much effort in to the revision as you do with the statistics of passing you'll be on with a winner :p

kiltedpict

Native
Feb 25, 2007
Banchory

I could have this wrong, but it might be to stop folks who are "high risk" in the eyes of the insurance company not having to pay full whack- I saw a thing on it a while back- loads of youngsters / those with points or convictions for driving offences buy a car and try and get their parents / mate with a clean license to be the main insurer, thus reducing the premiums. This practice is illegal IIRC.

KP

Lister

Settler
Apr 3, 2012
Runcorn, Cheshire
Have failed twice today so far on the mock tests. Some of the questions are absolutely baffling. For example why do I need to know how old I should be before taking a provisional license holder out in my car? Do I need to know this before I can drive?!!

No but the test is about driving in general and one day you might be foolish enough to want to help your kids learn to drive so you'll need to know the minimum requirements (or they might want to help their mates pass more specifically so as a parent you'd need to know how old they have to be to do this)

Neither am I about to tow any trailers and never have done, so I know little about the speeds and lanes I can drive them on motorways (most that past me are doing 80....) Stabiliser Bars or Jock Wheels.

Again, it's a general test so it makes perfect sense for trailers and towing to be covered (given that B and B1 [Car] also come with the +E entitlement as a provisional) plus you can't (afaik) get any commerical license type (C + D) without first having B so it makes perfect sense to cover towing and limits.

Apparently motorway phones used to link directly to the police, but now either A. Link to a Highways control centre, B The local fire brigade, C, A breakdown service control centre.... (choose which one) DO I NEEEEED TO KNOW THIS?
Logic says A however I could be wrong, once again, it makes sense to educate you on how to use a roadside emergency phone.

I have my test tomorrow having recently found out I do not have a license any more. Apparently if you do not send off your pass sheet within 2 years you have to resit your test......... Well I have been driving for 12 years so that would mean 10 of them was without a full license (eeek) When I first did my theory test I got 100% :D However they seem to have updated it in the last decase to include some bloody stupid questions....

Me thinking I aught to have studied more for it :p[/QUOTE]

No such thing as a stupid question, it's all relevant the moment it happens to you, hell you've been driving for 12 years? why complain now? there is a good chance that you've learnt the answers to whatever questions they throw at you anyway.

NetFrog

Forager
Jul 17, 2011
Scotland
I passed I passed I passed I passed I passed :-D

I did feel sorry for the young loon kicking the lamp post on the way oot though.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE