Driving Theory Test

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
So you had no paper licence? How did you buy a car?

It strikes me as odd that the system allows you to get that far without bells ringing. Not very fair on you for what could've been something going missing in the post.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida

It strikes me as odd that the system allows you to get that far without bells ringing. Not very fair on you for what could've been something going missing in the post.

So do you have to have a license to buy a car? I'm not being sarcastic; I'm thinking of company owned cars and even the possibility of someone wealthy enough that they hire a chauffer rather than drive. No, I'm not in that position but it does eem a valid accademic question.

Retired Member southey

Jun 4, 2006
your house!
the company would have to see your licence before they let you drive the car, the chauffeur would have to present his license and have a chauffeurs license(I think ) to work a chauffeur:p

NetFrog

Forager
Jul 17, 2011
Scotland

I had my pass sheet which was fine for getting insurance with and I stayed with the company for the 12 years so this was not a problem as they just renewed it each year. For buying cars I have never been asked for my license from any of the second hand sellers I have been too!

As for not being fair - 2 trains of thought on this really. 1. I cant believe I was so stupid, apparently Jane Goody (that reality TV star cancer victim) did the same thing (however went to court for it) 2. Yeah..... The pass form was sent back to the DVLA, so in reality this should be enough. It is unfair but the way it is so I deem it my own fault. So I was dumb, but it's not fair :-/

The system obviously has holes, I expect most do. But then it is not all under one agency other than the DVLA with their central databases. I work with databases and they certainly do not tell you everything and when working with multiple sources they are never going to be foolproof.

monkey boy

Jan 13, 2009
london
read the theory book, cover the answers. the questions you get wrong make note of them and go back to them once you have finnished the book.
dont worry about the hazard and perception bit its easy :)

Retired Member southey

Jun 4, 2006
your house!
not if shes YOUR secretary, then I am blaming you! hahahah so how did you renew your licence two years ago then? has to be done every ten years, also did you not have a photo card then?

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
the company would have to see your licence before they let you drive the car, the chauffeur would have to present his license and have a chauffeurs license(I think ) to work a chauffeur:p

Granted about actually driving. What I was thinking (theoreticly) though was that say I have no license but I want to BUY a car. Couldn't I go to a dealership, go through the paperwork and pay for thr car and have my chauffer drive it? As for insurance couldn't I contact the agent, give him the details on the car and list the chauffer as the principle driver? I'm sure i'm over simplifying the process but it seems an appropriate approach.

As for the company owned car, again granted to actually drive it someone (the employee) would need to be licensed but how is that the car dealer's concern when the transaction is being processed (granted when someone drives it off the lot but not during the purchace transaction)

NetFrog

Forager
Jul 17, 2011
Scotland
not if shes YOUR secretary, then I am blaming you! hahahah so how did you renew your licence two years ago then? has to be done every ten years, also did you not have a photo card then?

No photocard :/ No renewals :/

But hey, I did pass my test! All red tape. And now I have to resit my theory and practical {-_-} How do you reverse park? :X

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
Granted about actually driving. What I was thinking (theoreticly) though was that say I have no license but I want to BUY a car. Couldn't I go to a dealership, go through the paperwork and pay for thr car and have my chauffer drive it? As for insurance couldn't I contact the agent, give him the details on the car and list the chauffer as the principle driver? I'm sure i'm over simplifying the process but it seems an appropriate approach.

As for the company owned car, again granted to actually drive it someone (the employee) would need to be licensed but how is that the car dealer's concern when the transaction is being processed (granted when someone drives it off the lot but not during the purchace transaction)

Yes, anyone can own a car. Driving it away is a different matter.

NetFrog

Forager
Jul 17, 2011
Scotland
Yes, anyone can own a car. Driving it away is a different matter.

Interestingly, I bought a car a few weeks ago (knowing I did not have a license) and tried to get a friend of mine insured for it so we can drive places. However as he is not the registered owner of the car and not the #1 insuree, he cannot get insured. As the car owner myself I cannot get insured without a license, so I have an unlicensed and now SORNED car which no one can drive. I can always put it in his name but he is growing a beard and that makes me suspicious.

Last edited by a moderator:

NetFrog

Forager
Jul 17, 2011
Scotland
I can drive it on my own policy 3rd party. Most people can.

Not if the car is uninsured by anyone, it needs an insurance policy before you can piggyback onto it, there may be caveats to this and most probably are, but for the layman you cannot drive a car that has no initial insurance, insured for any car or not.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE