Drinks

Baggy

Settler
Oct 22, 2009
Essex, UK
www.markbaigent.co.uk
Hi all

Somehow I have blundered around the planet for 50 years without learning anything bushcrafty.

To prove the depth of my ignorance I am sitting here drinking nettle tea from a packet while looking at a huge nettle patch in the field at the end of my garden.

I wondered if you kind people would suggest how to collect nettles, how many, which bit of the nettle and how to use them to make tea. Probably all obvious to you guys :-(

As a follow on to that...
the field is also full of dandelions, dandelion tea?

calibanzwei

Settler
Jan 7, 2009
Warrington, UK
As with most edibles, go for younger and tenderer leaves - for tea in my Sigg cup I lopped the tops off about 6 plants, washed and then steeped in boiling water for about 3-4 mins before drinking. Taste was better than the smell :D
Dig up and dry the dandelion roots in the Sun, grind and use as you would coffee grinds.
Young leaves you can add to a cheese and pickle sandwich. Mmmmm.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
It can't be easier. Pick the fresh green new growth at the tips and the more succulent looking leaves. Put about five to seven leaves in a cup and add boiling water.... that simple.

EDIT: Beaten to it by calibanzwei.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Thanks guys, I had a horrible feeling that it would be that simple/

I confess that about four years ago I did pretty much the same. Bought a load of nettle tea teabags from Sainsburys and then sat in the middle of a woods surrounded by nettles for a week whilst using the teabags.

Kerne

Maker
Dec 16, 2007
Gloucestershire
I tend to chuck the leaves in before the water has finished boiling and leave them - more flavour but I'm probably killing off some nutrients.

durulz

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 9, 2008
Elsewhere
Or you could make beer with them!
Click on the link in my signature below to see how to make nettle beer.

Hugo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 29, 2009
Lost in the woods
I do mine the same way as Jonathan.
And yes I do have Twinings nettle and fennel tea bags in the kitchen.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE