Drilling !

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

pumbaa

Settler
Jan 28, 2005
dorset
I have been wondering what the best thing or making holes is when your in the bush ? I was thinking of making a hand size drilly thing , basicly for making lanyard holes in all the spoons i am going to have to make (since the missus saw one and bought me a spoon knife !) :eek:
Then i saw Ray Mears using a blooming great thing to drill a hole for collecting Birch sap ! :confused:
So What do you guys recomend ? And what size/s ? How else would you make a neat hole in a tree ?
Cheers
Pumbaa

R-Bowskill

Forager
Sep 16, 2004
Norwich
There are a few options open to you:
You can make holes with a knife.
For holes for a lanyard I expect you're talking about something in the region of 1/8th" diameter maximum. Try cutting the head off a 6" nail, filing it to a chisel shape with a small point at the middle and you'll end up with a spade drill of about the right size.

Any drill you make or buy can be used as a hand drill or with a small bow drill outfit to make holes. Jewellers still use both bow drills and pump drills for some of the delicate drilling and stone setting jobs where a motorised drill doesn't give the control they need.

Fot making a large hole in a tree, get a spade bit and use the bow drill method resting the bearing block against your chest like you would with a bract and bit.

Hope these ideas help

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE