Drill powered lathe.. need help designing one!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Samon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
YO,

I'm finding I could make good use of lathe more and more often. I'm too cheap to buy a real one and have no sheltered work space to use a full size one, just my tiny back garden.

I'm think a diy job is in order. I have power drills and I can aquire timber to make a frame/body. I'd like to be able to take toi apart to store it indoors when I'm done and not require too much spending to get it safely operating.

Anyone got a ny pictures, links or blue prints of soemthing simple and affordable?

Be much appreciated if I can find a design I can make.

Cheers!

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Keep an eye out on Ebay and other such sites for drill powered lathes.

Black & Decker did one and they turn up fairly regularly. I picked up a different type that you make the bed by clamping the bits to a table edge

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Shame you ain't near the Rossendale Valley as I've got one with a two speed drill fitted that's in the to carboot pile now I've got my big old Myford. Good condition as well, I think put up a pic one time. Would accept a swap.

ATB

Tom

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
My Dad's lathe that I used ofr years growing up was dismantled after every use and packed away. If it was raining I used it in the kitchen!

No drill power though - a motor hanging on a hinge to keep the tension. I wouldn't bother with a drill one!

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
Have you considered using a washing machine motor? Its a tough motor... especially when you consider the weight in a washing machine when filled with water... they see some abuse.

Frame wise you should walk it... you're familiar with metal work... you just need a good solid base with a guide rail... your lathe will be adjustable.

Alreetmiowdmuka

Apr 24, 2013
Bolton
You any further with this samon.ive got a 1/4 inch dewalt router that's going spare if you want it as the motor.it's just the motor body part theirs no base plate or owt.should work mint for a lathe.i found it in a skip a while back n kept it too make an electric spit but never got round too it.if yer want it let me know or I'll send yer a pick

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
Oriental chap makes one out of a pillar drill.

[video=youtube;NFXGPQrbfvQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NFXGPQrbfvQ[/video]

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
Oriental chap makes one out of a pillar drill.

He demonstrates some good thinking and design & build skills there, but I'd be sceptical about the bearings at the chuck end to stand much of the inevitable sideways pressures involved. I've had issues in the past with using drum sanders in pillar drills even though I've been very light on them; these bearings just aren't built to deal with those stresses.

I actually have one that I made from a small drill press. The hardest part to make was the drive spindle that engages the workpiece - which I made out of a large nut threaded onto a short piece of threaded rod (sharpened) I used a file to cut spurs into the nut to engage the work. The tail center is another threaded rod sharpened on one end and threaded through a peice of hard maple. Mine is limited to small parts, but I really only made it to make hand turned shaker pegs for some Christmas projects.

For some reason I can't seem to include pictures, but you can see them here if you are interested.

Last edited:

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
Matthias Wandel is cool, he does some great stuff and he doesn't bang on like some......You could build a whole workshop with his vids.; oh, hang on, you'd need a workshop to build them in/with :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE