Drill lathe bodgers advice wanted

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Feb 17, 2012
Surbiton, Surrey
Morning all and a very merry Christmas to everyone.

Long story short I want to give wood turning a try and have heard tell it is possible to jury rig a pillar drill for this purpose.

I have a cheap and cheerful pillar drill and would like to try this out for myself but was hoping some of the more engineering minded on here could advise on the best way forward.

From my brief research my understanding is that I need to make some sort of pronged device to sit in the drill chuck which holds the wood and a free moving head stock to sit underneath allowing it to rotate freely with the chuck.
A vertical tool rest to run parallel to the wood to support the tools I can clamp to the drill base.

Now my questions are what are my best options for a chuck tool and head stock if I am trying to do this as cheaply as possible and one put together what issues should I be looking out for and any tips that might help me along?

Cheers, Hamster

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

didicoy

Mar 7, 2013
fens
Or buy a cheap lathe off of eBay, if it's not for you, re-sell the lathe. A good lathe is a safe lathe. Stability and control of function is one thing. Safety is another. I've had 6"x 6" x 40" blanks leave the lathe at speed and continue to climb the wall behind the lathe using its own momentum. Even very small DIY lathes can teach you loads and are great fun. You can always find a small pieces of interesting wood. (No one will miss a branch off of a fruit tree) It's all a matter of scale. I loved green wood turning. Allowing the turnings to dry out after can ruine a piece of work or make it more interesting.

Feb 17, 2012
Surbiton, Surrey
This was the kind of thing I had in mind, failing that if it isn't the best idea can anyone recommend what I should be looking out for on evilbay?
830314ebeed1792bcafa3ae441f7cdf6.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gary Elson

Feb 27, 2007
Bulkington Warwickshire
Hi
That looks just about as unstable as you can get, the photo is clearly staged and the operator doesn't look like he's ever done any turning by the look of that grip, and I'm struggling to see how they are getting any control over the tool

A better project would be a pole lathe search for bodgers.co.uk or the pole lathe turners and green woodworking association

Or if you want a powered lathe have a look at Axminster tools

Just my opinion

Gary

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
Eugh! Nice idea to utilise one machine for multiple jobs but just no! That would be an extremeyl uncomfy position for you to try do any meaningful work.

I picked my large jet axminster wood lathe up from ebay for £50

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
Get a cheap second hand lathe as suggested. Aside from being awkward to turn with, that is a fast way to kill your drill Press! Far too much strain on the bearings and chuck, none of which are designed to be used like that.

On a side note, vertical lathes are known from ancient Egypt. They were steal lathes and had a helper to provide the power. Apart from that, I don't think I've seen anything than the usual horizontal beds

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE