Dried Vegtables

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
How strange! Mine has clear plastic trays! I agree though, it is a great bit of kit, and I am gonna try the latest offering in a short while. The missus has knocked up some apple flakes, we hope they will be similar to the apple flakes used by soldiers back in the day when ration packs were a good thing. I'll try them and if they work will get back to you all!

Toadflax

Native
Mar 26, 2007
Oxfordshire
How strange! Mine has clear plastic trays! I agree though, it is a great bit of kit, and I am gonna try the latest offering in a short while. The missus has knocked up some apple flakes, we hope they will be similar to the apple flakes used by soldiers back in the day when ration packs were a good thing. I'll try them and if they work will get back to you all!

I'd be interested to see if the apple flakes work - I'd forgotten all about them - still, it's 25 years since I last had them. Since getting one of those dehydrators for Christmas, I've been regularly drying apple rings from the apples that are left at home at the end of the week and aren't very nice to eat fresh. I was meaning to try dried vegetables as a possible food supply for next year's moot so I'll watch this thread with interest.

Geoff

PS: Spamel - still haven't got around to making that bopper yet, but I will!

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Carrots are good, once dehydrated they are tiny. Put them back in water, and you have to be careful how many you put in, and they go back to original size, as if they were just cut! One or two people have inadvertently made a carrot stew by putting too many in!

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
Sweet potato also works well, I've been reviewing a dehydrator and we've done peppers, onions, mushrooms, sweet potato, pineapple, apples, grapes, peaches, banana, beef, chicken etc...good stuff :)

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
The apple flakes weern't bad! Not exactly as the rations, we may parboil the apple before dehydrating next time. The taste was there, the sweetness and the sdmell was bob on. Not sure how the wife made them, but we're gonna try again soon. Just doing a kilogramme or so of beef at the minute, sliced real fine and seasoned with salt for the first small batch of mine. I've not tried it that way before so want to see what it comes out like. She's done hers and the kids stuff, so it leaves me with a mass of meat sat in a ziploc with tabasco. Lots and lots of tabasco! :D That goes on later, when it is drying the air around the dehydrator is like CS gas!

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Carrots are good, once dehydrated they are tiny. Put them back in water, and you have to be careful how many you put in, and they go back to original size, as if they were just cut! One or two people have inadvertently made a carrot stew by putting too many in!

Too true, watch the carrots, dried size is deceptive :eek:

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
BB just upgraded our dehydrator to a really top end one having spent two years learning all about them. We will be preserving a much larger proportion of our "glut" of garden veg this year now that we have about 15 square feet of dehydrator space to play with. For all that the new one has all the whistles and bells (side fan, temperature control, timer etc. etc.) I still think those sub £30 cheapies are an absolute bargain. They aren't up to processing huge quantities but for most things required of making great jerky, dried fruit and veg they truly are a bargain

Red

Lush

Forager
Apr 22, 2007
Netherlands
Tony mentioned a lot of the things you can dry. About the only thing I can add is beans. You can use canned beans if you don't want to go through the trouble of preparation. I am going to try it soon...

I am very much looking forward to banana chips... Probably with a honey-lemon dip. Good trail food.

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
Pineapples with honey and apples with honey or cinnamon have been the favouite in my house.

I'm going to do some fruit leather very soon :D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE