dried vegetables and fruits - the asian way

Joeri

Tenderfoot
Apr 11, 2006
Netherlands
www.niceisotherwise.nl
While shopping for some asian ingredients in my local chinese neighborhood I wandered around the grocery shops and a thought sprang up in my mind.

why do we not use much more asian stuff on trips?

they have so many dried stuff you can't imagine. Of course we all know instant noodles, but they have much more! Since i couldn't find a thread dicussing this here comes a list of things they have. in two weeks I will be out for a few days and will try some combinations and recipes. i'll put the recipes worth posting in this thread.

here is a list of stuff they have and I think might be usefull...

instant noodles
dried mushrooms
they come in a variety of sizes en species.
just soak them in warm water for a while or put them in the water while cooking noodles or rice
little dried shrimps (called 'ebi')
they take some time to soak, but give a strong flavour. so use them in small quantities. Great with cabbage
dried sea weed (japanese use these a lot in soups)
great to add to soups and stews
have a salty and particular taste. you'll love them are hate them i think
soup base
the package looks weird and has long strings of vegetables, several nuts, dates and other stuff in it
add a lot of water and simmer for an hour and you'll have a great chinese soup!
dried dates
need to soak long, but are sweeeeet afterwards. these have a very different bite than fresh ones.
lo hon kwo
got no idea what the english name would be. it is a green thing the size and colour of a kiwi. it has medicinal uses as well. they come in a plastic see through egg. soak them and peel off the green shell. than soak the inner part and the result is a sweet fruit which boiled in water helps against coughing
dried spices (whole chilies, carlic, ginger, etc..)
why use grounded chili and pre mixed spicemix? using these makes variation easier and flavour stronger.
tamarinde (dutch name, don't know the english one)
get it seedless!
great to put in stews that has meat in them. it makes the meat more tender. so when dehydrating jerky or using bad pieces of meat this stuff makes the meat become good faster.
salted fish
not totallu asian, but usefull. it's the jerky from the sea!
down side is that it's very salty.

this was just a list from what i got and knew before, but never thought of using along the trail. I'll be going back to the shops soon so maybe the list gets bigger. Do you know more dried stuff? please add!
hope this is of any help in taking food on the trail, while packing light...

Apr 14, 2006
Jurassic Coast
Nice post Joeri

With space being a real issue while bimbling I am getting almost obsessed
(ok I am obsessed) with taking dehydrated food to save space and weight.
foods like couscous are good for those reasons as well as various spices to
liven up wild food and plenty of dried fruit to munch along the way. I shall be
scouring my local asian shop tomorrow for things to try out ;)

xylaria

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
You don't have go to chinese supermarket to get some of those, the seaweed around the welsh coast is really delicious. My sister dries her own. Some of the fungi like Matake (grifola) and ear fungus grow in europe. I have got a bag of dried ear fungus i picked and dried myself. I wouldn't mind knowing how to powder alcohol, but dried ethanol seems as probable as dried water.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE