Dressing for a Job Interview

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Havent been to a job interview in yonks!

I have a suit; a rumply linen one.

Maybe not; as

a) Rumply. (normal for linen)
b) Summery.
c) I dont feel happy in it.

Should I go for smart casual?

Its for a museum job, so museum folk are often smart casual...

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
They are, but you're not employed there, yet. It's usual to aim for business smart for an interview, unless you've been told ahead of time that it's very 'relaxed'.
You don't want your clothing to distract the interviewers from paying attention to you and your abilities, or you to feel uncomfortable wearing it either though.

The thing is that smart casual means different things to different folks.
Designer pieces are often 'smart casual' and expensive, while the addition of artisan pieces of clothing or jewellery can add a very personal flair/statement. It can also just mean clean jeans and decent shirt !

M

Van-Wild

Feb 17, 2018
UK
Check the place out first and see what the staff wear......

I've interviewed loads of people this year as part of a panel and all of us agree that the type of clothes someone wears is less relevant than the cleanliness of them. I interviewed someone who turned up in an ironed shirt and dark jeans. He got the job. He presented well, spoke well and was clean and tidy. All basic stuff.

If the smartest clothes you own is an old shirt and your dad's trousers, then that's your 'smart casual'. Wash it, iron it, set your hair and go for it!

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

Reactions: Stew and Toddy

Billy-o

Native
Apr 19, 2018
Canada
Museums crowd? Go absolutely smart/conservative with one quirky but good eccentric marker; an accessory ... ring, earring, bag, pen, hair dye, shoes whatever it is.

At points in your career you will have to talk to the public, people with money to donate and government agencies. You will have to attend formal events: openings, press interviews etc. Your interview panel, if they are worth it, will want to see that you can be presentable, articulate and not scare lay people, but still be interesting in an area often characterized as inward and frumpy.

Reactions: Toddy and oldtimer

billycoen

Settler
Jan 26, 2021
north wales
When you go out somewhere,pub,bank,department stores,do you expect the staff to be dressed in a certain manner.I can't say i,ve ever noticed how staff working at a museum dress,but i bet there's a certain "dress code".Failing that wear a gorilla costume,that'll perk their interests up.

Kadushu

If Carlsberg made grumpy people...
Jul 29, 2014
Kent
I've never had a job interview but I've considered applying for a few jobs and attending the interviews in fancy dress just for fun.

Reactions: billycoen

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Whatever you wear go prepared and wow them with you! If you meet the job description then proving that is more important, however your clothes mustn't distract from the more important stuff IMHO. You want to be noted for your suitability not your green hair or tartan suit. Neutral stuff I reckon but that's a big range of possibilities that I know very little about.

I've done sombre charcoal or blue suit but my current job was jeans, t-shirt and softshell fleece. I knew the company owners and they knew me. There was no point in a suit.

Reactions: Toddy

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Ack, there is no hope for me then.

You'll do fine :)
Look through your clothes; brush, steam, sticky roller as necessary. Put together an outfit that fits the occasion, and the season, and your clothes will be the last thing on your mind.

You know your stuff, you're interested in the job, you have the qualifications and you've built up experience. This is just the next step.

Very best of luck for the interview :)

M

The Frightful

Apr 21, 2020
Essex
Personally I'd go for a suit. Shows respect, integrity and a serious intention for the interview in hand regardless of the position you are going for. ( unless it's a plasterer)Off the pegs are great these days and no need to break the bank. About 3 yrs ago i got a cheap DJ, shirt, cumbebund etc for a classical concert/p*** up in a park all for under a ton. Matalan I think.
Go smash it !

Stew

Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
Personally I'd go for a suit. Shows respect, integrity and a serious intention for the interview in hand regardless of the position you are going for. ( unless it's a plasterer)Off the pegs are great these days and no need to break the bank. About 3 yrs ago i got a cheap DJ, shirt, cumbebund etc for a classical concert/p*** up in a park all for under a ton. Matalan I think.
Go smash it !

It does depend. I went for a job as a caretaker and dressed in a suit. Was better dressed than the site manager and it was clearly a factor in not getting the job.

Reactions: nigelp

gra_farmer

Mar 29, 2016
Kent
Ack, there is no hope for me then.
As everyone said, dress to impress. It shows that you want the job, anything less means that you are not taking it seriously and no point in even going to the interview.

You will be fine, dress in your best, and show them that you are the best person for the job :)

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
I used to into interviews with a fatalistic outlook. If I got it great but that's not in my control. So I simply answered questions honestly. If I'm not right for the job I probably won't want it anyway. Prefer to not give them surprises if i get employed and I've not been me in the interview. Possibly why I'm not employed at the pay scale of someone with 2 degrees.

Tengu sounds right for the job so it'll go well I think. Reason to be positive in the interview I reckon. Wear what helps your confidence because I fear you could be working yourself up over the interview.

That's not my way as I'm fatalistic in that I don't expect to get the job so I don't put pressure on myself in the interview. I've been unemployed for 1 month over 20 or 30 years. It worked for me.

Good luck Tengu.

MikeeMiracle

Aug 2, 2019
Northampton
If you have got the interview from a job agency then you can always ask the agent if formal wear is required or if you can get away with something more casual. The agent will normally have a good relationship with the person interviewing you and will know what they will expect.

gra_farmer

Mar 29, 2016
Kent
What I am getting from this thread and @Tengu if dress code is the only concern, you will easily get the position, if almost any type or style of clothing.

If I was you, rather what I would do :), place a number of clothing options for the interview out, side by side, see how you feel about each set and the message you want to state the moment you walk through that door. Only you know what that message is, and what you want to state.

Good luck

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
I read the list of skills required for the job.

I have half...at most. Its for a Temporary Casual de facto Dishlicker...pretty much the bottom of the museum pile.

Dad (who is much cleverer than me) says they are not interviewing me for the job, as such, they are interested in my Heritage skills and experiences, and want to see me...who might be of use on other projects.

Something to think about

Wander

Native
Jan 6, 2017
Here There & Everywhere
Your dad's right.
The fact you got an interview means they believe you can do the job. That bit's dealt with.
Now they want to meet you, get to know you, and see if you're the kind of person they can work with and will benefit the organisation.
It's a museum. They are used to quirky personalities and individuals. They probably are themselves. They're not bothered by that. But they will want to know that it's a quirky personality that doesn't rub people up the wrong way and can bring something to the party.

SaraR

Mar 25, 2017
Ceredigion
Havent been to a job interview in yonks!

I have a suit; a rumply linen one.

Maybe not; as

a) Rumply. (normal for linen)
b) Summery.
c) I dont feel happy in it.

Should I go for smart casual?

Its for a museum job, so museum folk are often smart casual...
Clean, tidy and ironed clothes (with suitably nice shoes!) that are slightly more formal than what’s normally worn in that workplace is what I normally aim for. To my interviews at universities, I’ve worn a nice black fitted shirt, black trousers (from M&S’s range of what I think of as trousers for receptionists and shop assistants) and low black leather shoes. Plus nice, but low-key, matching neckless and earrings. I’ve gone with this because at the time, I couldn’t really find or afford a suit jacket that fitted nicely and without a jacket a black shirt looked nicer, plus I didn’t want it to show if I got sweaty from the nerves.

For lab roles, they often say to dress such that you look like you could step in and start working straight away (albeit a bit too overdressed for normal days), which means no skirt and no high heels.

Last edited:
Reactions: Erbswurst

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE