DPM vs. OD bivi

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

bambodoggy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
folkilsk said:
What differences are there between the british army DPM bivi and the OD one, besides colour?

The OG one is slightly smaller and imo slightly more waterproof and breathable.

I'd go for the OG one everytime over the dpm but to be honest there isn't a MASSIVE ammount of difference and either is better than none ;)

Cheers,

Bam. :D

folkilsk

Jun 24, 2006
Linköping, Sweden
bambodoggy said:
The OG one is slightly smaller and imo slightly more waterproof and breathable.

I'd go for the OG one everytime over the dpm but to be honest there isn't a MASSIVE ammount of difference and either is better than none ;)

Cheers,

Bam. :D

But the DPM is the newer one, right? Usually stuff get better as they evolve, not the other way around. What reasons might there be for issuing a less effective model? (I can't think of any but economic reasons)

bambodoggy

Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
Yep, the OG one came first and then they changed to the newer dpm ones.

I can't tell you the ins and outs of why (most likely cost cutting or just a change of supplier or something like that) but from personal experience I think the OG is slightly better...as I said though there isn't much in it and either would be fine to use.

I don't think it's a case of "They don't make em like they used too" in the above case, but not everything gets better through evolution either ;) :lmao:

Cheers,

Bam. :)

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
The big difference for me is the pattern. There are many countries in the world where looking too "military" can get you into trouble. Even in the UK, the site of someone walking into a shop in full DPM causes a different reaction than in a pair of OG lightweights and an M65 jacket.

I do use camo - although I'm moving more to terrain specific non military (Realtree Green HD is good for the UK), but tend to keep it for fieldcraft (photography and shooting) now.

Just my 2p

Red

leon-1

Bam has pretty much covered it, the main difference is the size and a design shift.

The older version was basically a large goretex bag with taped seams and a draw cord that ran around the hood.

The newer dpm version has a "V" section stitched into the front and the hood is larger, this makes it easier to get in and out of with your kit on (webbing / chest rig, boots, Uncle Tom Cobbley and All). The larger hood also allows you to pull your bergen in under it if you wish.

Bam also mentioned that there is a slight difference in performance between the two different vapour permeable materials, although this was the case with the original ones I cannot say for definite that this has not been rectified in later models.

Ahjno

Vice-Adminral
Admin
Aug 9, 2004
Rotterdam (NL)
www.bushcraftuk.com
Two years ago on my Woodlore course we were issued with a OG bag, which worked without any problem. Last week I used my own DPM bag, and hadn't any problems with that either.
The foot end became a bit wet, but my sleeping bag inside was still dry when I checked. Don't know if it was wet enough to allow it leaking.
When I bought it DPM was the only choice I had, so I took it, although I rather had OG - but that's because I don't want my kit to be overly militairy. Back home I put my sleeping bag in it en turned on the garden hose. No wet sleeping bag.

Difference I noticed with the OG one is that the OG one feels thinner, less robust. But that might come due to the fact the OG I used on the Woodlore course was used intensively, and my DPM one was brand new (warstock) and never been used by anyone before.

Just my 2 Euro cent.

jayuk

Forager
Feb 24, 2005
UK
I havn't used the dpm version, but I've got two of the older olive ones - an early version and a later version with the added 'v' which leon mentioned. The later version is much more easy to get in and out of, so be aware of the two versions if you intend to buy one. On a side note, my older one is dated 1984 and is more of a brown olive rather than green olive. Its definitely gore-tex though.

Shambling Shaman

May 1, 2006
In The Wild
www.mindsetcentral.com
jayuk said:
I havn't used the dpm version, but I've got two of the older olive ones - an early version and a later version with the added 'v' which leon mentioned. The later version is much more easy to get in and out of, so be aware of the two versions if you intend to buy one. On a side note, my older one is dated 1984 and is more of a brown olive rather than green olive. Its definitely gore-tex though.

I have the newer OD type with the 'V' - im only 5"8' so its plenty big for me & my kit and the dog once :rolleyes:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE