DPM Bergen with side pouches £55

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Greg

Jul 16, 2006
Pembrokeshire
runni said:
Just thought I'd give a quicks heads up on these - apologies if the link has already been posted.
I was just buying myself a Nanok 0, when I noticed this deal Bergen + side pouches for £55 - looked like a good price to me :) .
Any thoughts??
(no connection to seller etc. etc. :D )

Thats a good Bargain as long as you don't mind the DPM look!

Greg

Jul 16, 2006
Pembrokeshire
rik_uk3 said:
Whats wrong with DPM?

When you have worn it as a uniform for 18yrs you get kind of sick of it!!
Besides I read loads of peoples threads and posts on here stating that they prefer not to use DPM,
Does this answer your question?:)

Greg

Jul 16, 2006
Pembrokeshire
w00dsmoke said:
Just make sure it's a long back or you are in for a sore back when carrying stuff! ;)

That all depends on your build I personally prefer the short back, but that is just my preference!:)

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Greg said:
When you have worn it as a uniform for 18yrs you get kind of sick of it!!
Besides I read loads of peoples threads and posts on here stating that they prefer not to use DPM,
Does this answer your question?:)

Strange, lots of people at the main moot last year with all sorts of DPM gear?

A lot of people have problems with the short back bergen, I've only the long back (in DPM of course ;) ) but I have an Alice pack (medium) coming from the states, anyone here used them, opinions? I know Nigel is happy with his and would like to here from others

Geuf

Nomad
May 29, 2006
Eindhoven, the Netherlands
The Bergen is in my oppinion not suitable for hikes or long walks. Because this pack had to fit over any webbing the soldier might be carrying, the hip belt is small and flumsy. the problem is that you can not properly wear this pack on your hips and thus must carry it on your back, wich will in time.. kill it.
The thing about buying a backpack on the internet is that you can not try it on and see if it fits. yes, just like pants, shoes or hats, a backpack also has to fit. And what really anoyes the hell out of me is that if you are looking for a proper backpack on the internet, they almost every time only show the pack side of the backpack and not the strap side; the side you actually wear.
I don't know what your intentions are with a backpack, but if it's for hiking I would really recommend searching the internet for information regarding to fitting and buying backpacks and going to shops, talking to people and learning how to fit a backpack on you back, so that you can walk 30 kilometers without a sore back instead of 5 with one.
I know the frustrating thing about this is that you see a really nice backpack, good colour, good shape, excellent volume, in fact; the perfect backpack! ya think... because it is crap or just doesn't fit. I had that many times. ( even more so with sleeping bags, but thats a whole diffirent story) Anyway, I might have a few tips how to pick a good backpack and how to strap it to you body the right way. If anyone doesn´t agree or thinks I´m talking rubbish, please tell me. I joined this forum to learn :)

rugzakwj9.jpg

first of all you have to be able to carry the pack without the sholder straps. just on your hips. The numbers on the picture show in wich order you should strap them on. strap no. 4 is very important while picking a pack, but often forgotten. it should be higher than your shoulder when you put your pack on. Some people say it ideally should be in an 45 degrees angle from your pack. I don´t think it is actually necessary. the most important thing is that it´s well above your shoulders. 5 cm´s is ideal. this strap relieves the pressure on your shoulders, especially the back.
So. make sure every strap that attaches you to the pack is loose. First, strap on the hip belt. make sure it´s tight. ( no 1) then tighten the straps attaching your hip belt to the side of your pack ( no 2) and make sure you can carry the pack just on your hips. then tighten your shoulder straps by pulling strap no 3 down Now the pack should be fastened to you body. after that, tighten the straps above your shoulder straps (no 4) and you will see it will release pressure on the back of your shoulder straps. Finally it should have a snug fit and you can fine tune everything to your needs. I hope this helps anyone who is looking for and trying on a new backpack. Goodluck in the jungle of backpacks!

Jedadiah

Native
Jan 29, 2007
Northern Doghouse
rik_uk3 said:

A lot of people have problems with the short back bergen, I've only the long back (in DPM of course ;) ) but I have an Alice pack (medium) coming from the states, anyone here used them, opinions? I know Nigel is happy with his and would like to here from others

I used a medium Alice pack for some time. I ditched the frame after the first few occasions and found i prefered it without. One or two observations,

It really needs treating. I used Nikwax tent and gear proof, one container provides a couple of applications. After a couple of applications it worked a dream. I used a liner for the main compartment so use the proofer primarily on the external pockets and the stitched areas. Be aware though, the external pockets do not have snow sleeves fitted. Also, make sure you use the proofer on the shoulder straps. The internal compartment hidden in the lid is next to useless (basically it's a split between the two skins accessible by pulling the tabs apart on the lid, its velcro'ed together) but you could put a very thin pack of baby wipes in there, for ablution purposes. ;)

The main compartment securing straps were a little awkward. You have to slacken them all the way off and slip them to the side to gain access to the main compartment. All i did was cut them and got the squippers to sew on fastex buckles, Job done, no problems.

The material is hard wearing yet pliant and it does seem to look better with age, in fact, now you've got me talking about it, i wish i never got rid of it! It is only day sack size even though you are tempted to stick more in than you should.

I particularly liked the quick release shoulder straps, though thats probably down to Clint Eastwood in 'Heartbreak Ridge' were he ditched his quick in a contact........ah yes, we are all little boy's when it come's down to it! :D

I'm sure you will enjoy it, it's a good bit of kit! Just make sure you proof it

Greg

Jul 16, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Geuf said:
The Bergen is in my oppinion not suitable for hikes or long walks. Because this pack had to fit over any webbing the soldier might be carrying, the hip belt is small and flumsy. the problem is that you can not properly wear this pack on your hips and thus must carry it on your back, wich will in time.. kill it.
The thing about buying a backpack on the internet is that you can not try it on and see if it fits. yes, just like pants, shoes or hats, a backpack also has to fit. And what really anoyes the hell out of me is that if you are looking for a proper backpack on the internet, they almost every time only show the pack side of the backpack and not the strap side; the side you actually wear.
I don't know what your intentions are with a backpack, but if it's for hiking I would really recommend searching the internet for information regarding to fitting and buying backpacks and going to shops, talking to people and learning how to fit a backpack on you back, so that you can walk 30 kilometers without a sore back instead of 5 with one.
I know the frustrating thing about this is that you see a really nice backpack, good colour, good shape, excellent volume, in fact; the perfect backpack! ya think... because it is crap or just doesn't fit. I had that many times. ( even more so with sleeping bags, but thats a whole diffirent story) Anyway, I might have a few tips how to pick a good backpack and how to strap it to you body the right way. If anyone doesn´t agree or thinks I´m talking rubbish, please tell me. I joined this forum to learn :)

rugzakwj9.jpg

first of all you have to be able to carry the pack without the sholder straps. just on your hips. The numbers on the picture show in wich order you should strap them on. strap no. 4 is very important while picking a pack, but often forgotten. it should be higher than your shoulder when you put your pack on. Some people say it ideally should be in an 45 degrees angle from your pack. I don´t think it is actually necessary. the most important thing is that it´s well above your shoulders. 5 cm´s is ideal. this strap relieves the pressure on your shoulders, especially the back.
So. make sure every strap that attaches you to the pack is loose. First, strap on the hip belt. make sure it´s tight. ( no 1) then tighten the straps attaching your hip belt to the side of your pack ( no 2) and make sure you can carry the pack just on your hips. then tighten your shoulder straps by pulling strap no 3 down Now the pack should be fastened to you body. after that, tighten the straps above your shoulder straps (no 4) and you will see it will release pressure on the back of your shoulder straps. Finally it should have a snug fit and you can fine tune everything to your needs. I hope this helps anyone who is looking for and trying on a new backpack. Goodluck in the jungle of backpacks!

Thats all nice and technical and good info but at the end of the day its down to personal preference, I used to tab with a bergen over very long distances carrying weights in excess of 60lbs with no problems when I was in the Army, it also comes down to how you pack the bergen.

Greg

Jul 16, 2006
Pembrokeshire
rik_uk3 said:

Alot of people who play in the outdoors use military kit (which is predominantly DPM) because it is cheaper than brand name gear! I had to wear it as my uniform which after such a long time I decided I would prefer to just try and wear olive green instead when I was out and about which if you ask me doesn't make you look like a rambo type to other people! Unless of course I am out hunting in which case I would wear it for cam and concealment purposes.

And with reference to the bergen like I said the short back was my preference I wasn't saying it was better or worse than the long back, I had both and the short back was my favourite.

As for the ALICE pack I think they are good bits of kit but I to removed the frame to make it more comfortable for me as that was my prefence too!:)

Geuf

Nomad
May 29, 2006
Eindhoven, the Netherlands
Greg said:
Thats all nice and technical and good info but at the end of the day its down to personal preference, I used to tab with a bergen over very long distances carrying weights in excess of 60lbs with no problems when I was in the Army, it also comes down to how you pack the bergen.

That's true. it always is down to personal preference. But if you only buy things based on esthetics, you will have kit that doesn't fit. I'm not saying everybody should discard the esthetics. But there's a fine line between esthetics and sizes, shapes and things that fit or don't. I think you're saying that if somebody fits the bergen, it doesn't have to for someone else. But, what can you say about the hipbelt then? can you carry it on the hips? I found that impossible and I've never found anybody who could carry it on the hips, because the belt would allways twist into a diffirent angle than 90 degrees and thus not support the pack. Also, the surface touching your back is as flat as a pancake. But.. in the end. you're right about the fact that it always comes down to personal preference. I just thought/hope this info might help anyone buying or strapping on a backpack.

About the DPM. I think it's great! it just has that name and I never wear all DPM anymore. just trousers, or a jacket. rest olive green.

Greg

Jul 16, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Geuf said:
That's true. it always is down to personal preference. But if you only buy things based on esthetics, you will have kit that doesn't fit. I'm not saying everybody should discard the esthetics. But there's a fine line between esthetics and sizes, shapes and things that fit or don't. I think you're saying that if somebody fits the bergen, it doesn't have to for someone else. But, what can you say about the hipbelt then? can you carry it on the hips? I found that impossible and I've never found anybody who could carry it on the hips, because the belt would allways twist into a diffirent angle than 90 degrees and thus not support the pack. Also, the surface touching your back is as flat as a pancake. But.. in the end. you're right about the fact that it always comes down to personal preference. I just thought/hope this info might help anyone buying or strapping on a backpack.

About the DPM. I think it's great! it just has that name and I never wear all DPM anymore. just trousers, or a jacket. rest olive green.

I have to admit fella that I never used the hip belt, I hated the thing I always buckled it around the front of the bergen to keep it out of the way.
I know it sounds a bit odd but I don't like using the hip belt on my civvi bergen either although its a very good fit, I guess I got so use to not wearing one before that they just bug the hell out of me now.
As for the flat back on the bergen, I use to take the aluminium frame out of the back and try my best to shape it so that the bergen was a bit more comfortable.

Your advice was good mate I wasn't trying to critisize!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE