Down v Synthetic Sleeping Bags for Uk use

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

ranger

Forager
Nov 3, 2003
South East
I can’t make up my mind whether to splash out on a down sleeping bag (a modified PHD Minim 600 with Drishell). I have a very nice synthetic Ajungilak bag which I like on the whole, apart from the pack size and weight.

The Minim would only be used in the UK and I would like your opinion as to whether you think down bags are suitable for general all round use in the UK. It would also be used in conjunction with a Gortex bivi-bag.

Thanks
ranger

tenbears10

Native
Oct 31, 2003
xxxx
Down all the way, if I could afford it. For that reason it's synthetic at the moment, Ajungilak kompact spring which I really like.

Have you looked at mountain equipment or Rab down bags? PHD are pretty expensive IIRC. Stuart has one I think so he sould be able to say if they are worth it.

You should search bcuk as well there is a lot of info about down v synthetic

Bill

Adi

Nomad
Dec 29, 2004
The UK’s weather is predominately known as being wet, whether from precipitation, dew or humidity so I would suggest a synthetic sleeping bag.

Down bags work best in cold/dry environments

Synthetic bags work best in cold/wet environments

bambodoggy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
Adi Fiddler said:
The UK’s weather is predominately known as being wet, whether from precipitation, dew or humidity so I would suggest a synthetic sleeping bag.

Down bags work best in cold/dry environments

Synthetic bags work best in cold/wet environments

Adi, while what you say above is true I have used an old 58 pattern down bag since I was in cubs over 20 years ago and have never had a problem with using it.... ok so you have to keep it dry but that's just good house keeping.
I have now upgraded to the 95 pattern synthetic bag and while it's also a great bag I don't really notice much difference to the old 58 bag.

If used within a gortex bivvi as he is stating I really can't see him having a problem with a down bag....

Just my opinion... :lol:

Adi

Nomad
Dec 29, 2004
bambodoggy said:
Adi, while what you say above is true I have used an old 58 pattern down bag since I was in cubs over 20 years ago and have never had a problem with using it.... ok so you have to keep it dry but that's just good house keeping.

Yes the 58 was great for its time but there is far better around nowadays.

jack29g

Forager
Sep 17, 2004
Leicester
for the u.k i reccomend a synthetic. Firstly because obviously they still keep some degree of warmth when wet and secondly they are cheaper. Even with a bovy bag you might get condensation. I own a mountain equipment military tds 2 and that fine. It weighs 1.5kg and is good to -5.

Kim

Nomad
Sep 6, 2004
Birmingham
Down or synthetic, if I find myself somewhere in Britain in a wet sleeping bag...I'm finding the nearest hotel..!

Doesn't it say in the rules somewhere that bushcraft is about camping comfortably!

Back on subject, however, I've always heard that down are the way to go. Saying that though, aren't they heavier/bulkier? Plus I like the idea of just being able to chuck a synthetic in the washing machine.

bambodoggy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
Kim said:
Down or synthetic, if I find myself somewhere in Britain in a wet sleeping bag...I'm finding the nearest hotel..!

Doesn't it say in the rules somewhere that bushcraft is about camping comfortably!

As I said lower down, it's just good house keeping....I've slept out in all the weather this fine country of ours has to throw at us and fail to see how/why anyone with an ounce of savvy has ended up wet ?? ?? ?? I can just about see the condensation arguement but I've never had an issue with it and I keep my little head tucked right in like a snail....just like you're not supposed to :eek:): I include in the above sleeping in puddles as that's where our directing staff ordered us to basha up....I was in a bivvi bag in the puddle and still stayed dry....

How do you get wet? :?: The only way I can see and have done myself is by getting into the darn thing when soaking wet myself from an hour on stag....and that was my own fault for not taking my wet kit off but I was on second to last so knew I'd be up and back in the rain in under an hour or so...

I use an ex-army gortex bivvi bag and kipmat....I don't use a groundsteet under myself....just a basha or two on top. In my bergan ALL my kit is packed into Canoe dry bags and then put into my bergan.....if I trip crossing a stream or fall into a river or lake I know my kit will stay dry....this is just SOP to me whether I'm planning to go near water or not....what do you guys do with your kit to keep it dry or don't you? :shock:

george

Settler
Oct 1, 2003
N.W. Highlands (or in the shed!)
In the coldest weather in winter I use down, in the high summer if it's going to be dry I use down and for the rest of the year I use synthetic.

Like everyone else has said, if you keep down dry you won't have a problem. It's just that sometimes the problem is keeping it dry.

George

arctic hobo

Native
Oct 7, 2004
Devon *sigh*
www.dyrhaug.co.uk
I agree that nine times out of ten you will keep your bag dry, but the trouble with down is that it shifts all over the place and you usually end up with almost none underneath you, which is precisely where you need it. Both my bags are synthetic, and I have used Ajungilak bags and they are very good.

Raz

Nomad
Sep 3, 2003
all over
Having the insulation under you has little point; it gets compressed and thus doesnt insulate well. Thats why a mat is important.

wentworth

Settler
Aug 16, 2004
Australia
Insulation underneath you, either down or synthetic, gets flattenend out by your body. When it can't puff up or loft, it offers basically no insulation. It's most important to have the insulation on top of you, since heat rises, and a mat underneath you.
I use a synthetic quilt that basically drapes over you, with a foot pocket like a sleeping bag.... almost like sleeping under a doona at home!

steve a

Settler
Oct 2, 2003
south bedfordshire
I'm after a 95 Pattern bag, can anyone point me in the right direction, Ive only come across one place selling them new and would like to compare prices.
Thanks

Stuart

Sep 12, 2003
I use the PHD minim 600 with drishell outer

the best bag I have ever used and I would recommend it whole heartedly for use in the UK and abroad.

when your sleeping bag is wet, wether its a synthetic or a down bag you are going to have a cold and miserable night.......... so don't get it wet!!!!

look after your kit and it will look after you.

down is much much lighter, packs down much much smaller, and will last longer.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE