Down Jackets?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

plastic-ninja

Jan 11, 2011
cumbria
Plus one for Rab.
I've had my Rab down jacket for a good few years now and its brilliant.
Very warm and packs down small for when you start walking again.
Never had a problem with the rain either.
Try Rock & Run for offers on Rab.No connection but they are a great company to deal with.
Cheers, Simon

grouse

Mar 6, 2011
derbyshire
Thanks all for the wisdom.

My Buffalo jsmock is great on cold days on the moor when moving about, but for sitting around I don't rate it.

On suggestions perhaps the Rab Neutrino with its 800 fill would be a good buy?

Any suggestions on why not this jacket or anything that's similar/better?

Thanks Grouse

Bowlander

Nov 28, 2011
Forest of Bowland
I have a special 6 but really like the paramo system with the torres gilet for extra warmth. Its great, you put the gielt on over a wet jacket and it feels warm straight away. Packs small and is fairly light. Picked mine up 2nd hand for £40. I found it great for beating on the fell where you'd walk then wait - avoided the sweating/chilling with a single warm coat.

I haven't tried the torres over the buffalo though...might be an idea.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Xparent Green Tapatalk 2

Limaed

Apr 11, 2006
Perth
I have the Rab Neutrino it's an excellent jacket - I can't think of anything I would change about it. I also use the Mountain Equipment Fitzroy on less cold / wetter days which is also very good (synthetic)

grouse

Mar 6, 2011
derbyshire
Being from Derbyshire myself, anyone knows if Rab have a factory shop or product shop in Derbyshire/Sheffield?

Think its the Neutrino Endurance....but like the Zest colour, that one seems to £250 as opposed to other colours at £205?

peaks

Settler
May 16, 2009
Derbys
Yes they do - in Alfreton, on a trading estate :
The Location of the Rab Factory Shop which is also called Equip Outdoor Technologies Ltd. Wimsey Way, Somercoates
Open Weds & Thurs 12.30-15.30 every week.
Ring the door bell, sign in, up the stairs to the shop (very small room stuffed with rails of clothes), sign out on your way out. Take pot luck on whats in there..........

Mick721

Oct 29, 2012
Sunderland
Do any of these down jackets pack down into a small stuff sack? I like to use a snugpak softy jacket but find it too bulky when packed in a stuff sack to carry around in a rucksack. It takes up nearly as much room as my doss bag.

welchyd1

Jan 4, 2011
Wirral, Merseyside
Do any of these down jackets pack down into a small stuff sack? I like to use a snugpak softy jacket but find it too bulky when packed in a stuff sack to carry around in a rucksack. It takes up nearly as much room as my doss bag.

Every down jacket I have had has come with a small stuff sack buddy.

Hetzen

Forager
Feb 5, 2009
West London
I found one of these in the local Oxfam for £25.

http://theawesomer.com/expedition-down-jacket/22198/

The thing was, on that day I was contemplating on spending around £150+. Great find.

That said, I went online to see what the fill was and according to the site above it's 800, but also found one on sale for E130
http://www.stylefile.com/nike-expedition-down-jacket-black-clear-fid-16050.html

I've been wearing it constantly for the last few days. Super warm and light. Very comfortable. Very chuffed with the price.

R3XXY

Settler
Jul 24, 2009
Crewe
I have a Snugpak Softie Shirt, it's outrageously warm, especially considering how light and thin it is, it packs down really small. I saw someone suggested the Sasquatch, that would be even warmer I'm guessing.
Wish I'd bought mine years ago, seems to be a lot of much loved jackets in the replies, looks like you now have a new problem of which to choose :banghead:

Bigrich

Jan 26, 2011
Malvern
I like my filo the best, the cut fits nicely under a shell, good cost compared to bigger brands, packs much smaller than anything of a similar synthetic warmth, and keeps you warm when you need it and packs small when you don't - the removable hood also makes a perfect down cap for sleeping in when the temos start really dropping : )

troutman

Nomad
May 14, 2012
North East (UK)
I would have to say a Rab on this occasion. They were one of the first companies to offer down jackets and have plenty of experience. The fabrics are second to non and they are using a new DWR proofed down which dries quicker and resists more moisture. The wash in nikwax down proofer is not as effective as the built in proofer which they use. Down will ALWAYS pack down smaller than synthetic but primaloft is often a better option for the UK weather- it breathes so you don't over heat and retains almost all of its warmth even when soaking wet. Unless your doing some serious winter sports in dry snowy conditions I would say go for synthetic. The Photon suggested is a synthetic fill insulated jacket.

Check out Rab's website for the full range.

bigbear

May 1, 2008
Yorkshire
Sorry to be a pedant but down gear was on the market long before Rab was born.......and I mean the man, not the firm.
its essentially this, down is the warmest for small pack volume and will be greta evemmin quite damp conditions, it has to be pretty wet for it to be really poor as an insulator.
Synthetic is great, will stand up to abuse and wet and general hard life well, but its doesnt pack down as small.
look on Ebay for second hand Rab down or Patagonia synthetic stuff I have a couple of greta items for very luttle cash from there, if you want real high end performance kit and are prepared to pay the PHD is possibly the best kit you can get.he was Mr Mountain Equipmentnintheir glory days and what he doesnot know about insulation is not worth knowing, I have a down gilet by them thats just stunning as a bit of hard used well worn yet still very effective kit.
HTJ

nick

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE