Double knife combination

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

KAE1

Settler
Mar 26, 2007
suffolk
Guys,
Having returned from hols I was interested to read the 'beater and biter' thread as I have always seen the value in having two knives close at hand.
From a skinning/dressing perspective I have always kept my gutting blade as far away from bones as possible - I use a bigger knife or saw for heavy boning, head removal etc.
Even though my little opinel # 7 combined with Brusletto Bamse do the job adequately I like the idea of a purpose built set.
I am considering Leuku/puukko or this outdoor edge combo.
Question - how good is AUS 8 steel?

http://www.outdooredge.com/product_detail.php?cat_ID=4&prod_ID=23

Jedadiah

Native
Jan 29, 2007
Northern Doghouse
To be honst, the handles on these are similar to the grips on an old Kershaw folder i had and they where harsh on the hands when doing anything but the lightest and quickest work. It's a type of rubber and i ended up with sore red and black hands; red from the soreness and black from little bit's of rubber coming off during use.

I would also question the inclusion of a gut hook on the larger blade. If your set on going for a 'brace' i'd definately head in the Finnish direction. My two 'peneth.:D

Angus Og

Nov 6, 2004
Glasgow
Mine. :D

img0381gx9.jpg

img0380sj3.jpg

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
KAE1,

Why not try out Beater and Biter first (along with the PFK) - it might help you decide what you want?

Red

KAE1

Settler
Mar 26, 2007
suffolk
KAE1,

Why not try out Beater and Biter first (along with the PFK) - it might help you decide what you want?

Red

Now thats an offer........ Forgive me for not reading all of the 200+ replies to the beater/biter thread, as a short cut, Red could you answer;
1. Intended purpose of each knife
2. Are they going to be available for lesser mortals

Cheers
Keith

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Beater will be a 6.5 to 7" blade "tough" knife in A2 with a convex grind in 4mm stock. In game term, jointing, large slicing etc. If you needed to do pelvis splitting etc., this is the one to do it!

Biter will be a flat ground 2" bladed fine skinner / utility knife in CPM 30V. Very much for skinning, small game work, etc.

I could throw in a Grohmann large skinner for you to try out as well if you like?

Red

KAE1

Settler
Mar 26, 2007
suffolk
Thanks Red,
I guess there will be a bit of compromise with the beater, if its required as a baton blade and chopper of wood, and as you say splitting pelvis and pushing up through the softer breast bone, then the 4mm convex blade will be a good design feature whereas for slicing meat (and veg) and boning, a thinner blade, perhaps flat/scandi grind may perform better?

Also the smaller blade may be a little short and not enough bellied up-curve at the tip for really efficient skinning of large game?
I find my little opinel #7 ideal for gralloching, cutting around anus etc but find it too small and 'pointy' for fast skinning of old, cold, large game (need little more than your hands for recently shot deer).

Just a few thoughts from a total non-expert, and excuse my misuse of blade terminology. This whole blade design thing is really interesting stuff.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE