Dorset heights.

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset
Just a short bimble for an hour up Pilsdon Hill to give a friend's terrier a run.
It's the site of an Iron age fort and the features are still quite clear to see.

Looking across to Lewesdon.

Down to the coast, the mist is coming in.

Sun has set.

Looking across the border to Somerset.

Part of the hill fort defences that run all the way around the hill.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Looks good, great views from up there. (Then I suppose that's one of the reasons they built a fort up there). You looking after the mutt for long?

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Nah, just for the evening. Funny little thing she is though.

Well it is a terrier, the odd ones in the dog world - I like them funnily enough. did a little reading on your hill fort as I like hill forts, it's the second highest point in Dorset so no wonder the views look so good.

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset
Well it is a terrier, the odd ones in the dog world - I like them funnily enough. did a little reading on your hill fort as I like hill forts, it's the second highest point in Dorset so no wonder the views look so good.

I've got a soft spot for terriers too.
We're quite spoilt for hill forts here - there's also Coney, Lamberts and Lewesdon (the highest hill in Dorset) I took some pics a while back of that one http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=99325
Lots and lots of flint to be found in the area too. Perfect for weapon making.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
I've got a soft spot for terriers too.
We're quite spoilt for hill forts here - there's also Coney, Lamberts and Lewesdon (the highest hill in Dorset) I took some pics a while back of that one http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=99325
Lots and lots of flint to be found in the area too. Perfect for weapon making.

Cheers for that, just spent a couple of hours looking at them on maps and reading about them.

Remember one of the contractors slicing up his bonny new big off road knobblies on his pickup with all the flint at one spot when I lived in Seven Oaks. He was not a happy bunny. It's something we've a real dearth of up here which show's up in the archaeological records with more bone, shell and antler being used. Though we did trade something with others for flint as there is some and there are a few wee deposits here and there.
Do you do much knapping?

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset
Cheers for that, just spent a couple of hours looking at them on maps and reading about them.

Remember one of the contractors slicing up his bonny new big off road knobblies on his pickup with all the flint at one spot when I lived in Seven Oaks. He was not a happy bunny. It's something we've a real dearth of up here which show's up in the archaeological records with more bone, shell and antler being used. Though we did trade something with others for flint as there is some and there are a few wee deposits here and there.
Do you do much knapping?

Not really, several times I've smashed up some flint to get a sharp edge to cut some bailer twine or gut a rabbit when I've forgotten my knife. I must say that I do like some of the arrowheads and inteicate stuff that folk do, but that's useless to me. If it gets the job done I doesn't matter what it looks like.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE