Don't let anything hold you back!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

badgeringtim

Nomad
May 26, 2008
cambridge
Ingeniouse post - im glad its not just me that ends up with rigs that i wouldnt really want to show - to 'normal' people that is ;-)

Following a couple of points raised there though - knife kits - really dont buy them you can get all the pieces individually much better and choose the shape of the knife and then will remember where the wood came from etc etc the finished product will be much more meaningfull to you. Its also rather easy and having the kit i cant imagine would help much.

For removing material from the handle i always used to use a bast#rd file, but have recently tried using dreadnaught files which leave a much nicer finish. Both bits of kit are really very cheap. Although you can just use a knife - its a bit tricky if you want to make inner curves and can take longer. Also if you have blovks with the grain running in different orientations you need to be a bit carefull you dont suddenly slip moving from cross grain to with the grain - or through the epoxy etc and ouch..

Asa Samuel

Native
May 6, 2009
St Austell.
Well I've started filing the handle down, here are a couple of pictures:

2wnwwhh.jpg

213r9l5.jpg

I've still not even decided what handle shape I want! Arrggghh!! I'm also not sure about what to finish the wood with, would peanut be alright? It's birch, leather and antler so how long should I soak it for?

Biker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Filing the handle down? Have you considered using a rasp to take it down faster to the desired shape, then use a file for the finer finishing work?

You will need to clamp it into something sturdy like a vice, but a man of your ingenuity ought to be able to rig up something suitably solid.

No idea about which oil to use, I only have experience with linseed, oil and then only from reading it on this forum, wouldn't go back to using anything else for tool handles now. Tis brilliant.

Asa Samuel

Native
May 6, 2009
St Austell.
I did use a rasp a little bit but I'm worried I'll take too much off, if I was more certain what shape then maybe I wouldn't be too scared! It's in a vice at the moment - just about to go do some more work on it.

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
I found the little stanly hand rasp really good for removing the corners, it didn't take to much off but more than a file, and don't forget you can always stop,slowdown and look or try in the hand.

Asa Samuel

Native
May 6, 2009
St Austell.
Very nearly finished the shaping, just one tiny bit to finish then I've got to sand it, I've only got up to 240 grit paper, is this enough?

Ph34r

Settler
Feb 2, 2010
Oxfordshire, England
Very nearly finished the shaping, just one tiny bit to finish then I've got to sand it, I've only got up to 240 grit paper, is this enough?

Usually, you would take all of the scratches out with 120, then 240 then about 400 grit sandpaper - available as a pack at wilkinisons for about £2.00

Cobweb

Native
Aug 30, 2007
South Shropshire
Wow, excellent improvisation! Good on you and it's very inspirational. I love stuff like this where people use their minds and not their wallets... hmmn that sounds like a Signature hahaha... :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE