Don't get too jealous...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

JakeR

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 18, 2004
Cardiff
Hoodoo, is the nessmuk a user?!

Faca, it feels real nice in my hand thus far. I've only tried it out on a little piece of wood but i can't imagine problems. I'll let you know though.

How do i attach the adjustable carry then? :?:

JakeR

Jan 18, 2004
Cardiff
:roll: :lol:

But does it work well as a user? Does it come in Kydex, somehow i don't think a nessmuk and kydex suit each other! :wink:

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
It came with a kydex sheath because Allan doesn't make leather sheaths so I made a leather sheath for it. I have to admit that it is currently a drawer queen. I'm sure it would be a great hunting knife but for woodcraft, I need to thin out and convex the edge a bit.

abnessmuksheath1c.jpg

At any rate, it's no big deal because I have a wonderful "user Nessmuk" from racquette which got a good workout on a spike buck this year.

dalesnessmuk2b.jpg

This is the sheath I made for it.

nessmuksheath1c.jpg

JakeR

Jan 18, 2004
Cardiff
Nice one Hoodoo. Do you reckon it's possible to convex edges with stones?

*add* not a big convexing job, just slightly on the bevel.

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
Absolutely. Many years ago all I ever used for convex edges was a stone. A hard Arkansas stone is great for maintaining a convex edge. The main thing you want to do first is knock the corner off the V. Sometimes if the V is pretty steep, sharpening with a mousepad/sandpaper sharpener can round off the edge if you are not careful. So, if I am doing some major convexing of the edge and I'm in a hurry, I will first knock the corner off with a stone, then smooth it out with a mousepad/sandpaper sharpener.

Hand sanders like the one below can be purchased at local hardware stores, chucked into a vise, and used with wet/dry sand paper to put a nice wicked convex edge on a knife, axe, or machete. For really tough jobs I use my 72 inch belt grinder. :lol:

sander1b.jpg

JakeR

Jan 18, 2004
Cardiff
I think it is just a case of knocking the corner off slightly, i may even get away with doing it on a 1000 grit waterstone :?:

JakeR

Jan 18, 2004
Cardiff
No-one has any ideas on how the adjustable carry is done then??

Gary

Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
Are you talking cordage Jake? If so I'll show you in Jan but I cant type it out here - far easier to show.

Maybe little things like that are were we justify courses and meet ups!

JakeR

Jan 18, 2004
Cardiff
no, it's a little piece of kydex that i can't somehow figure how to attach to enable cross carry. But what your talking about sounds interesting?!

Thanks mate.

A

Allan Blade

Hey,

The Clip on belt loop is easy to put on,,, just unscrew the fixed belt loop from the sheath,,,,, turn the sheath horizontal, take the clip on belt loop, it is drilled to line up with the same holes as in the fixed belt loop and use the extra screws i sent witht he clip on loop to attach it to the sheath, easy and simple and works well too.

Regards, Allan

Gary

Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
Sounds interesting - does this alternation clip come with the fire steel loop sheaths too?!!

I think I will have to do a full review - including the sheath - with pictures - once I get mine.

Only a lot of weeks to wait ....... :cry:

Still, mum always said good things come to those who wait - :nana:

JakeR

Jan 18, 2004
Cardiff
Including firesteel holder :wink:

Cheers Allan. I'll give it a go.

Jake

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE