Done a knife up from the bootsale this morning!!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

johnbaz

Nomad
Mar 1, 2009
Sheffield, england.
www.flickr.com
Hi all

I bought this poor thing from a local bootsale this morning for 'Arf a quid!! ;)

2q3QQGl.jpg

W5pjDTR.jpg

I hammered the burr back down rather than just grinding it back but it left a slightly visible line when i'd finished! :aargh4:

Wpwpj42.jpg

No idea what the timber was that I used for the scales but it had some nice redish grain that showed through when I started shaping it!

2974vgt.jpg

First scale glued and clamped..

9cRSmbP.jpg

And drilled through the holes of the tang with a 6mm bit..

SMaflun.jpg

Both scales glued and then drilled through the first holes to align with the second scale..

axTNq5V.jpg

The blade was a stamped out blank originally rather than ground stock as there were edges that needed filling or the whole lot grinding flat! I mixed some of the very dark brown sanding dust with araldite and filled down the back where there was a gap..

MWy45I7.jpg

The grain showing through, Pins are 6mm Stainless steel rod that's usually thrown away at work!!

wVVubqr.jpg

Only for it to darken substantially upon laying on two coats of Poly lacquer :(

BmfSnJF.jpg

T'uther side is nicer though..

3Hbtcd0.jpg

I was going to put some .85mm brass liners but didn't bother due to the uneven edge of the blank :sigh:

The filler has done it's job though!!

V1tB5Dr.jpg

Managed a few more bits at the booitsale too..

qcmzEug.jpg

Nfy03R0.jpg

80FfpQR.jpg

NrUHKPF.jpg

Clarity on these Bin's is brilliant!!

M2etf26.jpg

j5pEfVg.jpg

5iVL4cS.jpg

All in all, Not a bad day :)

John..

knifeman

Forager
May 27, 2015
england
That's very tidy! I love going to boot sales, picking up old blades and making them usable again!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

johnbaz

Nomad
Mar 1, 2009
Sheffield, england.
www.flickr.com
That's very tidy! I love going to boot sales, picking up old blades and making them usable again!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's the first i've messed with for many years as I can't get in my garage for all the stuff that got put in when one of my sheds collapsed!!

I bought a 120"x50" steel shed but that's in the garage too!! :eek:, I stripped a large pallet at work to use as a base for the new shed, The pallet was 11'x6.5', I'll get it set level at the bottom of the garden soon (Hopefully) then get the shed erected so I can empty the garge in to it and start making a few sharps!!

Chjeers, John :)

Seagull

Settler
Jul 16, 2004
Gåskrikki North Lincs
Good job there.
They are a bit good as a rigging knife. Just need a little change to the belly line and a single-side bevel. The bee's knees for whacking through a rolled-up sheet of parcelling material.
Ceeg

Last edited:

edjuh

Jan 27, 2015
Haarlem
Not a bad catch !
For binos, the old 70/80's japanese are cheap at bootsales, and do provide good optics. Even compared to modern standards.
Though not up to par to modern thousands of pounds binos.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE