Dog Kit

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

TheViking

Native
Jun 3, 2004
Does anyone have some ideas on how my dog can carry some kit, for example it's own food? I don't want to buy anything, and it has to sit comfortable, but tight on the little fella. He's strong and healthy and is 40 pounds, so he can take a good amount of gear. I have an army buttpack in canvas if that's any help. Pics would be great. :wink:

I don't mind giving him some responsibility for gear, cause he does what I tell him too and stops when i say stop.

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
If your dog roams into bushes and other cover be careful about using straps to secure loads.

Very few people work thier dogs with collars on because of the risk getting caught on a branch and strangling, or worse drowning if the dogs are working in water. That's why slip leads are so popular for working dogs - no collar needed.

Does he do what you tell him even if you're half destracted and a rabbit jumps out at his feet? If he'll chase it into cover you need to think if it's worth the risk.
Some dogs are fine, others you just can't trust.

Cheers

Mark

bambodoggy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
Very well said Mark....

As I've mentioned before my dog has a serious wish to kill anything that isn't human (why he was thrown out of the Police) and so he is ALWAYS on his leash (albeit an extendable one often) and so I can have him carry his backpack as he is always under my direct control. I wouldn't want him all done up like a Christmas tree and running loose. :dog:

RovingArcher

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 27, 2004
Monterey Peninsula, Ca., USA
Saddle bags, a cart, or a drag are the best methods I know of to help the dog become more of an asset by carrying it's own gear and grub. The drag and cart will remove the weight from the back of the dog, which isn't as strong as the pulling ability of the animal. Which method used I suppose will depend on how much you need the animal to carry and the terrain and conditions they will need to traverse. For food, the bags will probably be enough. If they need to carry their own water and other gear as well as their food, then another method might be in order.

TheViking

Native
Jun 3, 2004
Buckshot said:
If your dog roams into bushes and other cover be careful about using straps to secure loads.

Very few people work thier dogs with collars on because of the risk getting caught on a branch and strangling, or worse drowning if the dogs are working in water. That's why slip leads are so popular for working dogs - no collar needed.

Does he do what you tell him even if you're half destracted and a rabbit jumps out at his feet? If he'll chase it into cover you need to think if it's worth the risk.
Some dogs are fine, others you just can't trust.
You can trust mine, he's not a killer. He has chased hares many times when we're out in the fields and that is only because I know he would never harm them. Everytime i think it's enough, i command him to stop and he does. I was thinking, he could definately wear his own blanket. :wink:

Tvividr

Nomad
Jan 13, 2004
Norway
www.gjknives.com
TheViking said:
Does anyone have some ideas on how my dog can carry some kit, for example it's own food? I don't want to buy anything, and it has to sit comfortable, but tight on the little fella. He's strong and healthy and is 40 pounds, so he can take a good amount of gear. I have an army buttpack in canvas if that's any help. Pics would be great. :wink:

I don't mind giving him some responsibility for gear, cause he does what I tell him too and stops when i say stop.
000992.jpg.jpg

A quick search on a noggin searchmachine got about 300 hits on "kløv +hund".
Two of them here:
http://www.friluftsliv.no/article.php?sid=600&mode=thread&order=0&thold=0
http://naturtips.tbt.no/Filer_aktiviteter/klovhund.htm

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE