Dog Attack

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

bogflogger

Nomad
Nov 22, 2005
london
Keep the pooch on a lead or expect to get it blasted! Farmers have enough to deal with without their likestock being attacked. Dog owners should remember that they are on someone elses land and keep their dog under proper control.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Razorstrop said:
Sorry I'll beg to differ. Unless someone saw it doing it theres no conclusive proof.

Mr Strop
Farmers don't need proof. If you are on their land and your dog is not in full control, they can shoot it.

Red

HuBBa

Forager
May 19, 2005
Borås, Sweden
www.hubbatheman.com
Its kinda funny since if this had been in Sweden, the dogs wouldn't have been blamed. The wolves would have. And more outcry and demand of killing every ragged wolf would be heard .. this regardless of the fact that the closest wolf to that sheepfarm might be the other side of the country :)

But i guess its just not fashionable here to think that little 'ol "princess" could rip out the throat of a sheep.

BorderReiver

Mar 31, 2004
Norfolk U.K.
HuBBa said:
Its kinda funny since if this had been in Sweden, the dogs wouldn't have been blamed. The wolves would have. And more outcry and demand of killing every ragged wolf would be heard .. this regardless of the fact that the closest wolf to that sheepfarm might be the other side of the country :)

But i guess its just not fashionable here to think that little 'ol "princess" could rip out the throat of a sheep.

Very true.

People forget that our domestic dog is a sub class of wolf.The same instincts to chase and kill are still there.
As we have domesticated the dog it is our duty to control it. :)

I love my two dogs but I have no doubt that,given the chance,they would love to "play" with a field of sheep. :eek: I just never give them that chance.

If they managed to get out of my control and were shot I would be devastated but I would bear no ill will towards the farmer.

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
When I lived on my fathers farm we had several sheep taken by a dog, throats ripped out.

Perhaps partly because they were the most common breed but also becaues of their herding/hinting instincts the worst breed for this was Border Collies.

Fully grown sheep have more chance of having a fatal accident with a fridge than being killed by a fox ;) , and in the 30 odd years that my parents ran the farm (a hillfarm in the lake district) there was only one occasion when a fox was even a suspect for killing a lamb.
Even that one could have died first as the fox was seen eating it's body.

Crows were far worse because if they could get close enough they would peck the eyes out of lambs heads and several had their tongues ripped out by crows also.
Can be a tad disheartening trying to get a lamb to feed then realising it's got no tongue

Lurch

Native
Aug 9, 2004
Cumberland
www.lakelandbushcraft.co.uk
We get all kinds of dogs being so close to a town, mostly though the mongrels were the culprits due to them being more likely to be roaming sans owners.
I really think Border Collies (or curs as we call them) are a most unsuitable dog for a townie, they need a huge amount of stimulation and discipline of the level that not many can provide. Shame because they are a lovely dog if you can provide them with what they need.

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
Lurch said:
We get all kinds of dogs being so close to a town, mostly though the mongrels were the culprits due to them being more likely to be roaming sans owners.
I really think Border Collies (or curs as we call them) are a most unsuitable dog for a townie, they need a huge amount of stimulation and discipline of the level that not many can provide. Shame because they are a lovely dog if you can provide them with what they need.

Where abouts in "Cumberland" are you based?

pumbaa

Settler
Jan 28, 2005
dorset
I used to walk the old mans dog . He (the dog that is !) had a habbit of worrying sheep in a slightly different manner ( think amourus !!) . luckly the farmer in question had a sence of humour ! To cure the dog of his habbit we took him to one of the old mans friends who had a small farm rearing sheep , the dog got put in a pen with a ram . Now he wont go any where near a sheep .
If you have a dog that pays too much attention to livestock its worth doing to save it from being shot . Sometimes the old ways are the best !
Pumbaa

Wayne

Mod
Mod
Dec 7, 2003
West Sussex
www.forestknights.co.uk
Personally i think farmers are a little too free with their guns. If the a dog is not actually in the act of attacking a sheep i don't think killing the dog is justifiable.

killing the dog is not going to bring a lamb back to life. hitting a dog owner with a hefty bill for compensation and paying for expensive retaining of the dog may work.

Carcajou Garou

On a new journey
Jun 7, 2004
Canada
We traditionaly shoot dogs we see in the wild, they attack/kill wildlife and savage peoples (so far no certified human deceased) indiscriminately and till the recent bear overpopulation were a real problem. Wiped out deer herds in several areas, reduced the moose calves survival rate by 50-75% in some areas. Nasty animals with no maners and fears. Thank Creator for wolves!!!
CG :yo:

Lurch

Native
Aug 9, 2004
Cumberland
www.lakelandbushcraft.co.uk
Wayne said:
Personally i think farmers are a little too free with their guns.

Some are and some aren't.
For most shooting the dog is a last resort, but once the dog has killed he has signed his own death warrant. Once a dog has got a 'taste' of killing they don't tend to reform.
The thing to bear in mind is that the responsible dog owner doesn't tend to allow his dog to roam free. Owners of sheep worriers are usually feckless individuals with no sense of responsibility whatsoever. Dog attacks are generally during the day when the owner has failed to secure the dog whilst he is at work or down the pub or whatever. Latchkey dogs if you will. Unfair to the dog? Sure, but unfortunately you can't shoot the owners.

Keep your dog under control, don't let him wander free and he won't get shot. Simple as.

pierre girard

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 28, 2005
Hunter Lake, MN USA
Best dog we ever had, when I was a kid, was Mike, a border colley (though we never knew what he was at the time).

Mike would bring in the cows, and nip at them if they tried to go in the wrong stall. Dog was smarter than snuff.

Mike started killing sheep. It says something about the dog that my father didn't immediately shoot it. He tried everything he could think of to keep the dog from going after sheep, even tieing a dead sheep to the dog. Nothing worked, and the number of sheep Mike killed soon outweighed his worth as a cow dog. A very sad day for us as kids.

PG

Scally

C.E.S.L Notts explorers
Oct 10, 2004
uk but want to emigrate to NZ
many years ago we tried to reason with a dog walker about her actions on the estate. we tried all of the techniques mentioned and after many months we was ordered to shoot the dog it hurt us more than anything. the dog owner was obvisouly upset but she was convined that she was in the right and that no one would shoot her dog but the amount of monies lost amounted to a fair amount.
(the amount of times she said that it wasnt her dog even with photo and video evidence she didnt back down.)
it was a sad day.......

pierre girard

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 28, 2005
Hunter Lake, MN USA
pierre girard said:
Best dog we ever had, when I was a kid, was Mike, a border colley (though we never knew what he was at the time).

Mike would bring in the cows, and nip at them if they tried to go in the wrong stall. Dog was smarter than snuff.

Mike started killing sheep. It says something about the dog that my father didn't immediately shoot it. He tried everything he could think of to keep the dog from going after sheep, even tieing a dead sheep to the dog. Nothing worked, and the number of sheep Mike killed soon outweighed his worth as a cow dog. A very sad day for us as kids.

PG

Please don't get the idea I'm soft on shooting dogs. When you grow up on a farm, and hunting for food - you quickly realize that to stay alive - something else has to die, plant or animal. On a farm, each animal is part of your living. Anything that destroys one of your animals is a step to toward removing you from the land.

PG

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE