Dog advice needed!

Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
If you're worried about the ' thing' on his side then it's a two person job, get someone to hold/restrain him & then examine him & get it sorted.. The titbit idea to distract him is not a good one as you will have ti time it correctly i.e. only give him the treat when he shows the wanted behaviour & not when he's growling as this will only reinforce this behaviour.(& his anxiety) likewise, do not stroke or talk to him when he is showing aggression.
A good way to educate him to accept to be examined is just before a walk ,when he has other things on his mind, just pretend to examine him for a few seconds & then go walkies then repeat this ritual every time before a walk, increasing the examination' by several seconds each time or until you see he starts to be a little uneasy........that way he will associate you fiddling about in his fur with something pleasurable & positive.

Last edited:

xylaria

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
When I was a kid we went on holiday to swanage. The shaggy old english sort of mongrel we had got a lot of ticks. He got an abcess on the inside of his leg and an other one on his pride and joy. He was softest mutt on the planet but these abcesses must of really hurt. Weeing made him shiver like he was frightened. The vet jabs worked a treat, and turned him around within a day.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE