Does this knot have a name?

Wook

Settler
Jun 24, 2012
Angus, Scotland
When bundling up paracord or other rope, I wrap the rope around my hand (or forearm - depends on how much rope there is) a few times, and then tightly wrap the remaining rope around this bundle until it snugly encloses the whole bundle. It is secured just by passing it through itself on the last turn. I find this to be an excellent way of stowing rope because there are no loose bits hanging out that can snag and it holds it all in one tight package. It is also very easy to undo.

Given that most knots have already been invented I doubt I can take credit for this. Does anyone know if this knot has a name already?

Here it is modelled on some bootlaces:

DSCF6456.jpg

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Isn't it called a 'hank'?
It certainly is - a looped hank secured with a half hitch....

There are many variations -

My favourite is a figure of 8 hank secured with a slipped half hitch -
it means I can pull the cord from the middle of the bundle where it pays out without tangling yet remains as a viable hank until the last coil and then the binding unravels leaving only a slip knot to prevent it slipping through your fingers.

We each acquire our favourites depending on how we use the cord and what suits us as individuals.

ATB

Ogri the trog

awarner

Nomad
Apr 14, 2012
Southampton, Hampshire
I use that most of the time with long lengths otherwise short lengths a simple overhand hank does the job.
I always mess up with the figure of eight, get the twists wrong, probably down to being left handed lol.

Lister

Settler
Apr 3, 2012
Runcorn, Cheshire
I use that most of the time with long lengths otherwise short lengths a simple overhand hank does the job.
I always mess up with the figure of eight, get the twists wrong, probably down to being left handed lol.

Funny enough, i had the same issue then i just tied the thing left handed.....whoever was teaching me was a righty and there-in lay/lie my issue, can do it blindfolded now

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE