Does Bushcraft have to be overnight?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

RobertsonPau

Tenderfoot
Dec 7, 2004
North Yorkshire,UK
I was reading the thread on Budget Kit in Kit Chatter, and a thought occurred to me, not often I know but I try to make the most of them!

If I don't stay out overnight is it still Bushcraft?

Personally I consider the odd days out in the wilds and woods, with a flask of tea and the dog 'mooching about', picking up interesting sticks, fungii, and other stuff. I do spend nights out as well, and consider both to be 'Bushcraft'.

I suppose I'm asking at what point it stops being a walk in the woods and becomes bushcraft?

You thoughts are invited.

Carcajou Garou

On a new journey
Jun 7, 2004
Canada
I think Bushcraft is the knowledge that come about from experiencing the great outdoors. The longer your stay and more varied your exposure, the more experience you will acquire. I don't think there is a set lenght of time, frequency of exposure over a lenght of time will sharpen your skills along with mentorship.
just a thought

Rhapsody

Forager
Jan 2, 2005
Aldershot, nr. Guildford, UK
I'd say it's what you do in the woods and why you are there that separates Bushcraft from just walking in the woods. Bushcraft, to me at least, is the art of being able to make yourself comfortable in the wild and although sleeping out overnight is a great test of this ability, it is not the be-all and end-all. You can learn just as much from walking in the woods as from sleeping in it if you do so with the right attitude.

Andy

Native
Dec 31, 2003
sheffield
www.freewebs.com
Most of what I do is going up to the woods and playing about. We make stuff from things we collect but they normaly get cooked on the stove. It could be done with a fire but it's not really possible in my situation. I don't really know if I do "bushcraft" I've grown up in a family that goes out and get things from the wild to eat as well as growing our own. When I'm camping, I'm doing just that. I consider myself a basic kit camper really. But I enjoy learning about the outdoors rather then just going into it so maybe I'm a bushcrafter.

Pict

Settler
Jan 2, 2005
Central Brazil
clearblogs.com
RobertsonPau,

I think the important thing is to get into the woods and keep your eyes open. Bushcraft is part of who you are, where you do it and for how long is just logistics.

I will say this, the more you expose yourself to the wilderness the more comfortable you will be in it. I've noticed a change in myself that only comes after a few days in the bush. I'm not talking about smell either!

An overnight trip won't give me the same "At home" feeling like a three day stay will. More than a week and I feel like a totally different person. I loose all sense of being "outside". Little sights and sounds that went unnoticed on day one start to grab my attention. Small discomforts that bothered me at the beginning don't seem to matter. I start to sleep like a log instead of waking up every two hours or so. The longer you stay out there the more the drug takes effect. I'm convinced that there is a part of a man that is SUPPOSED to live out there.

Sure, he can take a walk in the woods, but he really wants to go kill something and eat it in his shelter, cooked over his fire. If that last line struck a chord then you are a bushcrafter. Mac

Stuart

Sep 12, 2003
you can do bushcraft anywhere for any period of time.

I practiced bushcraft in my seat at 35,000ft on the flight back from brunei, infuriatingly trying to learn how to make rattan rings by recreating one I saw being made. (and failed misrably)

(shh dont tell the FAA that, rattan has sharp edges you know :wink: )

the point is you can do it anywhere, its having the intrest in the skills used to live outdoors that makes you a bushcrafter.

Viking

Settler
Oct 1, 2003
Sweden
www.nordicbushcraft.com
RobertsonPau said:
Personally I consider the odd days out in the wilds and woods, with a flask of tea and the dog 'mooching about', picking up interesting sticks, fungii, and other stuff.

This is a part of bushcraft, I do it all the time, you will always learn something.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE