Does anyone have a book called Antlerknife?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Bushcraft4life

Settler
Dec 31, 2006
London
Hi. I would really like a copy of Antlerknife which is currently on sale rather exclusively on Ray Mears website for £28. (very steep).
If anyone has a copy they would be willing to sell me for £10 or just over. (i will go up to £15) i would really appreciate it as i was planning to get the knife blade on Ray mears website but i simply can't afford both especially with the book at that price.

Cheers all bushcrafters out there :D

redcollective

Settler
Dec 31, 2004
West Yorkshire
Mate if you can get someone to part with theirs good for you! Hold onto it if you get it.

I don't know how many knives you've put together in the past so this post assumes this will be your first home build.

The book is not exclusive to the Ray Mears site. You can also purchase it from Attleborough. Unfortunately 28 quid seems to be the going rate, but remember it is probably self published so it's a labour of love for the author. I own it and it is a great step though the process, detailed with an occassional patchy section and a minor translation problem. However I don't regret buying it. And if you are seriously into Scandi knives this is probably the best start you'll get.

If I were you I'd buy the book, digest it, design your knife in your head, save up a tiny bit more cash, then head to somewhere like brisa and buy some cheaper blades, which in all likelihood, will be a tool equal to the RM stamped item and a fraction of the price. Better still, get over to British blades and look at the tutorials - you might find you learn just enough there to get started without shelling out for the Antlerknife book first. You could make a few simpler knives and move to more complex stuff later.

The benefit I've found, through too much trial and error, is that it hurts less to make mistakes on cheap blades. :D

Having said all that I do covet that Ray Mears stamped blade... I'm ashamed of myself LOL :)

Good luck!

ggfh666

Forager
Jan 16, 2006
belgium
users.pandora.be
I own the book as well, but won't part company with it.
If you're getting started I think Bo Bergman's book may be a better start. But it can be hard to find.
The cheapest you can do is buy some stuff from Brisa and then use the tutorials on British Blades. No need for the books. And if you get stuck, just ask.

swamp donkey

Forager
Jun 25, 2005
uk
Best solution if you have the details is order it from your local libary
I do it all the time . can take a couple weeks but no problem.
I always get new books from the libary first to make sure that they are worth buying. Its part of my council tax after all!.
! would also echo looking at other sites for blades and making stuff

Bushcraft4life

Settler
Dec 31, 2006
London
Funny you should say that ggfh666 because i just saw this thread.

http://www.bushcraftuk.com/community/showthread.php?p=238955#post238955

This will be my first handmade knife. I am only young (17) so maybe a book such as antlerknife isnt for me. But i would love to have it anyway before they are gone. I understand why you won't part with yours (one reason,only 600 printed) and if i had known that i wouldn't have posted this thread. I am going to order the book anyway as i don't want to be looking in a years time when they are all gone.

Brisa is a great website and i might order my first knife kit from them aswell. :D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE