Does anyone do Lapidary?

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Know where you're looking basically :)

Scotland, indeed the UK as a whole, is rich in mineral variety. Geodes here are usually formed from small volcanic gas pockets that have slowly crystallised inwards with minerals while still porous. In good conditions the filling in is complete, in others only a layer inside the hollow is crystallised.
Think bubble shapes when you go looking :) often sort of squished bubble shapes, but there's something rocky bubble looking about them.
We can find the most glorious colours sometimes....from golden cairngorms to wonderful rich purples.
Be warned though, there's an awful lot of grey and brown mucky sugar looking filled ones too.

cheers,
m

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Toddy,

Where the heck are you managing to find Cairngorms? I know folks who spend their days, heads bent down never finding them. Had thought Scotland had run out hence all the caramel glass in Sgian Dubhs these days. You never cease to amaze me with your knowledge.

Goatboy.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I haven't found any in years, but they are there if you're lucky :) usually just the mucky looking quartz though.

As a child I played with amethysts (well, purple quartz really I suppose) that my grandmother's father had gathered.

Geodes rarely yield enough for 'jewellery' jewellery, like the big stones in plaid brooches or pommels for sgian dubh's and dirks. Those stones are found in different matrix though.....I'll pester HWMBLT to find the geology links in the morning, but there's a site that I find interesting
http://www.curriehj.freeserve.co.uk/grampian.htm

It's not just the Grampians that are rich in stones like this though; Leadhills, the Ochils, etc., all are worth a ramble :)
Grooveski's much better informed about this sort of thing than I am though :cool:

Legal bit.....you're not supposed to dig for anything though without permission.

cheers,
Toddy

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE