Does anyone cook in their JetBoil?

AJB

Native
Oct 2, 2004
Lancashire
Does anyone cook in their JetBoil?

Not the new big pan Helios thing, the original version and I’m talking about anything other than liquid based food, noodles, beans, soups etc. All I can think of boiled eggs, anyone got any good ideas?

AJB

Nonsuch

Life Member
Sep 19, 2008
Scotland, looking at mountains
No - it's really only good for boiling water - and it does that amazingly well. I only use mine for brewstops up on the hills. For all round cooking I use a Duossal Trangia set with gas burner.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Good water boiler but you can't really consider it as anything other than that. Better options out there for the same money.

Kerne

Maker
Dec 16, 2007
Gloucestershire
You can get a kit to make it a "normal" cooker - a mate has one and we had bacon butties made on it yesterday during our "avoid the wedding" foray onto Exmoor.

I got my Jetboil for water based meals and brews. I wouldn't consider using it for anything else TBH. I use it at work in my van for brewing up and the odd cup a soup and in the woods for quick boil ups for brews and cous cous etc. I use a billy can over a fire for other meals or a small steel pan for sausages etc.

SimonM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
East Lancashire
www.wood-sage.co.uk
For me, the clue is in the name "Jetboil"....it boils water fast.

I only use mine for brewing up, or very rarely with the kids to heat up noodles or hotdog sausages.

I do use it with boil in the bag meals, but that isn't cooking.

Simon

gandelff99

Jan 29, 2011
southport
mine was a novelty whilst bivvyn in the lakes, but is now collecting dust in the cupboard,using the zebra billy and hobo stove much more and coal fire cooking is takin more of an importance to me lately

Hammock Hamster

Feb 17, 2012
Kent
Mainly just boil in the bag stuff otherwise you can't really use if for a brew without giving it a proper clean!

I like the hard boiled egg idea but can't see me getting them to the camp in one piece!

I think the jet boil is a great bit of kit for day trips and boil in bag meals and have got the misses one for the boot of her car in case of a breakdown but tend to stick with my trusty billy can for overnight ears or longer as its a lot more versatile.
I was temped to take of the neoprene and try to use it as a billy/crusader cup either above or at the side of a fire but it felt like sacrilege! :)

Podcast Bob

The tip with trying to cook properly in a Jetboil is to bring it to the boil (er quickly) , turn it off and then drop a single or double pot cosy over the top.

this will keep the contents at simmering temperature for 20 mins or more, thus preventing anything burning a sticking to the sides. There's a video about pot cosy's on my site. It might be a cheap solution for you?

Gray

Sep 18, 2008
Scouser living in Salford South UK
Use mine all the time and cook everything from soup to a full breakfast. Admittedly I only use the supplied pot for boiling water but with the potstand I use it just like an everyday stove with conventional pans and fry pan.

Gray

Sep 18, 2008
Scouser living in Salford South UK
This kind of thing

I have got the big pan but they are expensive and a barsteward to clean.

Bacon and eggs in the boot via jetboil and big pan
aqynuheg.jpg

Lister

Settler
Apr 3, 2012
Runcorn, Cheshire
If you 'line' the cup with a sarnie bag before cooking and cook whatever it is you're going in that, you still have a clean cup, it takes a minute or so longer but you have a clean cup at the end of it.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE