Dock

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

David Moulds

May 3, 2005
Belfast N.Ireland
I hope this isn't a stupid question but are dock(the type you use on nettle stings)and burdock the same plant.I have been searching for burdock everywhere and all i can find is the common dock any help will be much appreciated.
Davy

Matt Weir

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 22, 2006
Tyldesley, Lancashire.
Hi Davy,

They aren't the same plant but are related. I have th same thing here - tonnes of dock and no burdock.

The 'bur' bit relates to the seed head and is a bighairy/spikey affair that sticks to fur and clothing to disperse it's seeds.

Justin Time

Native
Aug 19, 2003
South Wales
It's probably a bit early to see Burdock out yet. I'll pop down to my usual sites tomorrow and see if there's any new growth yet and take some photos. However if there is some near you then you should be able to see last years dried stalks still standing, perhaps with some burrs still on them. I've got some big patches near me which will contain a mixture of first and second year growth during the growing season.

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
Justin Time said:
It's probably a bit early to see Burdock out yet. I'll pop down to my usual sites tomorrow and see if there's any new growth yet and take some photos. However if there is some near you then you should be able to see last years dried stalks still standing, perhaps with some burrs still on them. I've got some big patches near me which will contain a mixture of first and second year growth during the growing season.
Loads of burdock comming up around here.....
Some pictures here... http://www.british-wild-flowers.co.uk/B-Flowers/Burdock, Greater.htm

Justin Time

Native
Aug 19, 2003
South Wales
Yup,you're right Jon, burdock is coming up near me. Here's some pics showing the leaves and the patch with last years stalks still standing. I think the dead stalks of Burdock do look different from dock or willow herb, perhaps more branches... Anyway helps me find the stuff.

and then a picture of some dock leaves for comparison

HTH

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE