do you think he needs a lesson????

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
He needs to watch more TV - or a lot less!
At least he gave it a go... but I would not want to be the one sharpening his knife:yikes:
I f he comes to a meet or the Moot I am sure folk will give him some tips!

lannyman8

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
so its not just me being silly, he was using his blade like that.......

hope he and others can learn to do it in a safe manner, and help save that blade.....:)

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset
I reckon he's made of the right stuff, just needs some direction.
I'll give him his dues, he did persevere and get the fire going.

Stringmaker

Native
Sep 6, 2010
UK
I blame Uncle Ray.

On the intro to his early survival DVD it looks for all the world as if he is using his blade to strike his firesteel, when it is the heel/spine (hat tip to John Fenna).

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Nah - not Rays fault - he calls himself "thenextbeargrylls"....
Mind you Rays vid is very ambiguous unless you watch it more than once :D

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
I winced, never mind the knife edge or fire starting technique, all I could see was his thumb as he slashed at the rod in his hand! That could have been quite painful. :(

Ape_Ogre

Tenderfoot
Apr 26, 2010
Southport, UK
Another wince from me, not just for the knife abuse but for the fact that he looked like he was about to slice off his thumb knuckle at any minute. Although I felt quite sorry for him after reading some of the comments...

sxmolloy

Mar 22, 2006
lancashire, north west england
I don't feel sorry for him. There are plenty of good videos all over the internet let alone tutorials that show how to use these tools. People with such limited common sense should not even attempt to use a tool sharper than a butter knife, even then only under strict supervision.

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
I don't feel sorry for him. There are plenty of good videos all over the internet let alone tutorials that show how to use these tools. People with such limited common sense should not even attempt to use a tool sharper than a butter knife, even then only under strict supervision.

Yup, no sympathy for idiots who perform like this on a public medium.

Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
I think you guys are being a bit unfair, he's clueless yep, he's b*ggered up a probably expensive knife yep, but at least he's out there doing it, which is worse, someone who knows everthing & sits in front of the tele all day or a bloke 'inspired' to get out & try things even if his Knowledge is limited. All he needs is a little guildance from chaps like you,a little less Bear Grylls & a little more BCUK. the comments are great too, they seem to be saying the same things as you but in more colourful language.
It's easy to forget, we were all amateurs once!

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
I think you guys are being a bit unfair, he's clueless yep, he's b*ggered up a probably expensive knife yep, but at least he's out there doing it, which is worse, someone who knows everthing & sits in front of the tele all day or a bloke 'inspired' to get out & try things even if his Knowledge is limited. All he needs is a little guildance from chaps like you,a little less Bear Grylls & a little more BCUK. the comments are great too, they seem to be saying the same things as you but in more colourful language.
It's easy to forget, we were all amateurs once!

But as we are all still learning do you think we should be uploading videos saying"fire lighting 101" and showing dangerous and irresponsible acts such as this?

Ape_Ogre

Tenderfoot
Apr 26, 2010
Southport, UK
I agree, the worry with any media is it's influence on those viewing it. If you hadn't seen or read about how to use a firesteel would you trust that this fella knew what he was doing and copy him ? Perhaps... (until you sliced off a digit and knackered your knife). A little knowledge is a dangerous weapon...

Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
But as we are all still learning do you think we should be uploading videos saying"fire lighting 101" and showing dangerous and irresponsible acts such as this?

Definately not !.......I suppose I was more encouraging the "get out & try" attitude, rather than "arn't I a cretin" one then uploading it on youtube, I guess it was his potential I saw more than his ineptitude, I have to admit I didn't waste my time watching his other vids, so prehaps he is a hopeless case..............

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE