do you need a licence

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Suffolksteve

Forager
May 24, 2010
Suffolk
no you don't.

However fps and foot lb aren't the same though it is easy to get it confused, especially when you first get started. The game shadow 1000 is a prime example as with the right pellet in the right calibre it can get over 1000 fps but the power of the rifle is under 12ftlbs.

I cant explain how this works because I don't understand it enough myself but you need to know how powerful it is lbs per foot not the fps.

nuggets

Native
Jan 31, 2010
england
its easier to buy an illegal firearm from the local `pub `than go through the proper channels as a law abiding `citizen` to `lawfully` own a firearm these days ----- it makes me sick !!!!

udamiano

On a new journey
Yes anything capable of producing a force of 12 Feet /pound or 16.2 joules for a rifle and 6 ftp or 8 joules of force for an air pistol requires under current legislation a Fire Arm Certificate (FAC).
THis is controlled by the Regional Police Commisioner for each County apon application.

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
how hard is it to get a FAC

The actual license is relatively easy, provided you have the necessary security/character/reason to hold one...

Your problem will be in explaining how you took possession of a restricted firearm without being in possession of the necessary license!

As to the original question, some manufacturers quote FPS figures to make their products seem better than they appear as they sometimes use foam pellets in order to attain such numbers. As has been explained, the muzzle energy will depend on the weight (mass) of the pellet and a function of the speed at which it leaves the muzzle.

ATB

Ogri the trog

The Big Lebowski

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 11, 2010
Sunny Wales!
no you don't.

However fps and foot lb aren't the same though it is easy to get it confused, especially when you first get started. The game shadow 1000 is a prime example as with the right pellet in the right calibre it can get over 1000 fps but the power of the rifle is under 12ftlbs.

I cant explain how this works because I don't understand it enough myself but you need to know how powerful it is lbs per foot not the fps.

There isn't an air rifle made (non FAC) that will produce 1000fps in any caliber. You are looking at 600-700fps at very best.

Download chairgun.

I dont want to sound like a kill joy, but its 5 years Mandatory last time I checked for having an air rifle that exceeds 12ftlb with out an FAC.

al.

Last edited:

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
It would seem you have enough interest in shooting to make it worth getting the license at any rate. You might not be stisfied with a lesser set-up.

Green Weasel

Tenderfoot
Jul 4, 2010
West Sussex
The worrying thing is that the rifle only has to excede the 12flbs limit once to break the Law. That's why it is risky to try improving the factory designated power output of some of the better ones . . Tuning by improving the smoothness of the trigger or reducing recoil will improve performance better than grasping for an extra half flb of striking power and keep you legal. S*d's Law says that the day your "on the limit" air-gun attracts an unwanted spot check by the police will be the day the conditions and pellet choice cause the thing to overperform by just enough to bring trouble .
Conditions to satisfy an air rifle FAC application are not that hard compared with an application for rim or centre fire rifles-in my area at ant rate .
However the expense of using more robust pellets , the cost of the FAC itself and other limiting factors have to be weighed against any percieved advantages when the effective range and accuracy of decent modern sub 12flb air-guns has been stretched considerably in recent years .

The Big Lebowski

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 11, 2010
Sunny Wales!
where would you take an air rifle to be tested - before you buy it - to check that its under 12ft bs ?????

If its bought from a shop, its the shops duty to make sure its legal. If its a private sale, I would want to see it over a chrono before parting cash. Most airgun shooters have a chrono, for the sake of staying within the law.

As said above, it can be a simple change of pellet in a gun nudging 12ftlb to put you over. Most run around 11.5flb to compensate.

al.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE