Do farmers look more kindly on tarps as opposed to tents?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

didicoy

Mar 7, 2013
fens
Funny that much is made, erroneously, of what you cannot do on a footpath but these upholders of legality say nothing of the number of blocked foorpaths.
Do you know of a blocked off public Right of Way? I certainly don't, other than those with temp or other stoppage orders on them.

Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands
It does look one cool place to wild camp. Which begs the hypothetical question if land is derelict is it ok to camp?

Or if they are on holiday? Or out on the tiles? Doyou take it that you are or are not allowed?

Also withregards of tresspass;

ANTI-SOCIAL BEHAVIOUR ACT 2003

40. On 26 July 2002, the Office of the Deputy Prime Minister and the Home Office issued a joint press release outlining the Government's new approach to tackling unauthorised camping, introducing stronger police powers to move unauthorised encampments provided there was adequate site provision. The powers were provided under the Anti-Social Behaviour Act. This Act provided the police with additional powers when a suitable pitch is available on a relevant site. A relevant site is defined as one within the same local authority area, although in a two tier authority, the availability of a pitch would be on a county-wide basis. There is no definition of 'suitable pitch'. The powers of the Act may be used when:

a)  At least two people are trespassing;
b)  There is at least 1 vehicle;
c)  It appears that there are 1 or more caravans or;
d)  The trespassers are on the land for the purpose of residing there for any period of time.

Last edited:

boatman

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
A couple come to mind, concrete slabs across entrance to footpath near All Cannings and the Kennet and Avon Canal, Wiltshire. Builders rubble near Ramsbury. But you merely have to Google footpath blocked to find examples.

xylaria

Its one of those threads.

Me and my children camped in grounds of a derelict manor house up in Shetland. I picked the spot before we got there thinking nice veiws flat land water near by. Little did I know the islanders had cursed the place, and it was creeper than n van h smile. We heard these things running about all night. We walked to the shop the next day to be told the place was cursed and we shouldnt camp there. They opened the campsite for us. Wierd place.

Off to look at 28 days later.

Crassy84

Forager
Oct 22, 2014
Newcastle Upon Tyne
I find this thread a little dissapointing. We are all here for our love of bushcraft whether we own land or not. I wont just walk into a wood and start camping BUT thats my opinion, it is hugely difficult to get a landowner to contact you back or sometimes acknowledge you exist. In Newcastle upon Tyne it is darn near impossible; save one or two. What I find upsetting is that landowners here have such a "get off my land" attitude. If someone came to your door and seemed a good sort would you let them camp given your love for the same thing or not? If every patch of land was a no-go area we'd all be practicing friction fires in our houses and yards.

mrcharly

Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
I'm not exactly a 'land owner' in the uk (ok, I have a semi and a small garden). I did grow up on a farm in Australia, with hundreds of miles of forest around.
We occasionally got random campers appearing (usually they got lost and ended up staying out unplanned). Sometimes we had walkers try to walk through the farm - a bit difficult when there are no footpaths or routes through the boundary fences.
What we did get was fires, nearly always caused by a human being. The worst fires were caused by people intentionally having a campfire or a brew.

The UK doesn't have *much* of a fire risk by comparison, but it does have very limited space. Stealth camping should be done with sensitivity.

Leave no trace, cause no inconvenience. Preferably get permission beforehand.

Putting on my ex-farmer's-son hat, I think a tent looks neater than a tarp. A tarp can look like a tramp's camp.

mousey

Jun 15, 2010
NE Scotland
I've done some long distance walking through the UK. If I'd planned my entire route before hand [something I don't usually do] and actually stuck to the plan [something I've never done - it's good to be flexible and to be able to improvise IMO] and then contacted all the people who own land on or near where I might possibly stay to gain permission before sleeping there [thinking I could be sleeping in different places on thirty, forty or more occasions], then re-planned my route to avoid all the folks who've said no, I'd have given up planning a walk and not gone!

I have asked people on numerous occasions and have been granted permission to stay, I have not been able to find anyone or come across anyone who looks like they have that authority and stayed anyway [admittedly this is off the beaten track and not in a park/ wood land on the outskirts of a town etc]. I have never been 'discovered' and asked to move on, I have been 'discovered' and been told there's a better / more sheltered / even more out of the way place half a mile further on etc, you see most folks are actually nice and want to help:).

Edit////

With regard to tent vs tarp argument, can't help much as I've only walked long distances with wither a bivi bag or just a tarp.

Last edited:

didicoy

Mar 7, 2013
fens
I find this thread a little dissapointing. We are all here for our love of bushcraft whether we own land or not. I wont just walk into a wood and start camping BUT thats my opinion, it is hugely difficult to get a landowner to contact you back or sometimes acknowledge you exist. In Newcastle upon Tyne it is darn near impossible; save one or two. What I find upsetting is that landowners here have such a "get off my land" attitude. If someone came to your door and seemed a good sort would you let them camp given your love for the same thing or not? If every patch of land was a no-go area we'd all be practicing friction fires in our houses and yards.
I own 5 acres of pasture. I manage it organically and have done for over 27 years. I have over those years allowed even encouraged friends and youths from my community to camp on it. I have offered weekend park ups for horsey folk who have travelled to the County to partake in equestrian events. I have allowed a New Age traveller family to pull on with their horsebox for six weeks, so that a midwife could visit her newborn child. I have had squatters and rough sleepers who have taken advantage of the buildings and services on site. I have evicted young adults for breaking into storage units and burning fence posts etc when they camped over night. I will say this. If you don't make the effort to find me and try to ask for permission. Then there is no way I will look on your request favourably. The number of times I have had to clean up random fire pits incase any nails were left over from burning any old wood, before I take my tractor mowing etc. beer cans, nappies. Pizza boxes.

boatman

Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
Never carried nappies, so that's all right then. Never bivvyied on pasture either, except for the wide grazing area of the Downs.

nic a char

Settler
Dec 23, 2014
scotland
Well you are a good sort - 5 acres is not a lot to share. For my part, I'm arguing for easy public access to the HUNDREDS of THOUSANDS of unfenced acres available in the "uk"...

nic a char

Settler
Dec 23, 2014
scotland
"hich begs the hypothetical question if land is derelict is it ok to camp?"
This isn't a hypothetical question.
This doesn't BEG any question - it poses one.
How are you derfining "derelict land"?

nic a char

Settler
Dec 23, 2014
scotland
"Do you know of a blocked off public Right of Way?"
Seen plenty featured on TV - barbed wire,fences, old gates wired up, manure heaps, rubble etc - owners/perpretrators refused to talk to interviewers

nic a char

Settler
Dec 23, 2014
scotland
Keep up the good work boatman - it's only the frightened establishment and their deluded serfs who are labelling you eg "chip on shoulder" = :You_Rock_

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE