Do Everything Trousers

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Mike313

Nomad
Apr 6, 2014
South East
I suppose I might be asking the impossible but here goes. I want to buy a hardwearing pair of trousers. I'll wear them when gardening or when out for a walk. Ideally they will have knee pockets for knee pads as my old knees suffer a bit if I kneel on a hard surface. Removable knee pads would be a flexible option. I've see trousers a bit like like these on the Screwfix website, they are probably great for working on a building site but I don't know how they would work out for walking ...
Can anyone give me some recommendations. Especially one that don't involve a mortgage :)

Kepis

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Dickie Redhawks, ive just bought a few pairs for work and play, very tough and very comfy, loads of pockets too, including knee pad pockets

http://www.dickiesstore.co.uk/dickies-workwear/workwear-trousers/dickies-knee-pad-trousers/WD884#{%22col%22%3A%22Olive%20Green%22}

and at £16.00 a pair you cant go wrong.

Mike313

Nomad
Apr 6, 2014
South East
Thanks all. Since I'm on a budget and I don't live too far from a Screwfix (they stock the Dickies Redhawks that Kepis recommended) I'll take a look at them in-store. Thanks again.

bob_the_baker

May 22, 2012
Swansea
I got a pair of the Bushman polycotton trews from military mart a couple of years ago and have had no complaints, in fact I'm tempted to buy another pair to keep in the cupboard for when they finally die (not sure what would kill them though)

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
As above, look at 5.11. I pretty much live in the Taclite Pros. They're quite a thin airy material that dries quickly when wetted. When the weather gets very cold, I use the Stryke as the material is a bit thicker.

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
For the sort of abuse you're talking about I use leather trousers. You will often find them in charity shops for ridiculous prices.

I have three pairs of leather trousers. Two of them I bought for the motorbike from motorbike dealers and the cheaper ones were over two hundred quid fifteen years ago.

I have another pair that I bought three years ago from Oxfam for twenty quid.

Guess which onees I use most?

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
I have fancied trying the 5.11 stuff for a while but the initial price put me off. Bit of ebay searching and seems they can come in for about £30 which is good.
Dont suppose anyone knows if they do zip-off leg ones? Always handy for working out in the sun then trawling through bug infested brush.

Google seems to pick up all sorts of hits mostly not available.

sorry thread hijack,

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Never seen the zip off ones. The ripstop TDUs are my favourite - they are absurdly tough. Triple stitched, knee pockets for pads, double layer over the backside. They are near impossible to wear out (I've done it, but its measured in years of physical work). I have tried Dickies a couple of times but, for me, they aren't a patch on 5.11s.

Aristotle

Forager
Jan 13, 2010
NW England
I really like the 5.11 trousers, although the backside wore out on my coyote cotton (TDU?) ones after 3 years of (non-work, non-heavy-duty home) wear.

The lighter weight Wrangler ones from a US Walmart lasted longer.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
5.11 look OK but I don't see where they will take knee pads like the OP wanted

They have an internal pocket for the knee pads. Some suppliers include the pads, from others you have to buy them. They are very doscrete and very comfortable. They have the same arrangement for the shirts which is great for prone of bench shooting.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE