DMT Diafold Sharpening System

johnnytheboy

Native
Aug 21, 2007
Falkirk
jokesblogspot.blogspot.com
Hi There,

I was wondering if anyone had used this system, I quite like the look of it as the diafold has other uses, it looks just like the Lansky/Gatco type system!

I am just looking for something quick and simple that will give a decent edge! doesnt need to be shaving sharp just workable!

Any reviews would be appreciated as it is £50 which is allot to spend on something like this!

resnikov

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
I bought the diafolds on there own about a year ago and have used them and really like them. I got a Black/Blue and Red/Green. I got the sharpening system in November but have only used it quickly for 5 mins. It seemed quite good.

Paulm

May 27, 2008
Hants
I've got the sharpening system and a green/ceramic duofold that doesn't really get used as I tend to go freehand these days and go straight from green to a strop, the ceramic doesn't seem to do too much.

If you might be interested then let me know and we can think about pricing but obviously a fair bit cheaper than new !

Cheers, Paul

lucky 67

May 1, 2010
netherlands
Do you mean the guided sharpening system? Or just the plain diafolds?
I can highly recommend them, selling and using them for about four years now, only in the very first beginning they feel a bit rough, but by using them they will smoothen up and seem to last forever, just sliding your knife very gently over it, no pressure needed, dry our with some water, no oil! Normal the red/green are all you need for keeping up your edge, only if you dull your knife to bad you need blue/red, where the blue is coarse, red is fine, green is extra/extra fine, look for the grit size at DMT website, cannot go wrong with this brand,£50,-is expensive in my eyes for a single diafold, better contact longstrider on BB for an offer I guess.

send by mobile device,grtz,Jurgen

Bucephalas

Jan 19, 2012
Chepstow, Wales
When you say "system", I assume you're talking about the guide.
I bought the DMT aligner "deluxe" this year which is the same thing but with a bag and an extra diamond sharpener.

My view is that the DMT diamond sharpeners are superb in quality and operation but the plastic guide isn't worth a penny! It's poorly designed, flimsy and of questionale quality full stop.
The locator pins on one of the adjustable angle setters broke on it's first use and whilst HH replaced it without question (although returned it to my old address), it was returned with a note telling me to be more careful!
The "angles" it claims to make are nonsense imo. When you clamp the knife into the guide, the plastic deforms with every tiny turn of the screw changing the real angle of what you get.

I'm going to buy the Lansky guide which is all metal and looks more robust and bin the DMT one.

Just get the sharpeners. They do a fine/course double sided one for £35 which would be a good place to start.

Scopey

Forager
Apr 26, 2012
Brandon,Suffolk
I bought the improved Magna guide system which I believe it the improved version of the aligner.... Fantastic kit - works a treat and the stones are fantastic quality.

johnnytheboy

Native
Aug 21, 2007
Falkirk
jokesblogspot.blogspot.com
Seems like a decent bit of kit now I have bought it, I also bought a cheap Trend Craftpro Diamond Stone which is nice and course for rough work, fits the system better than the dmt one lol

20D8773E-FD58-42F8-8BFF-B759E011D6F8-3060-00000478C856714A.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE