DJP Knife reviewed !!!!(pic heavy with Extras)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

mikey.elefant

Forager
Dec 1, 2010
israel
Because for the most of us the question of the best tool for the job has turned into somewhat philosophical i will move away from it as much as i can, The knife i am speaking of is a tool i am proud to wear on my belt and use when needed. In this fun game of bushcraft one can try to go into the field and romanticize what an amazing adventure can be had.

Though we seem to forget the labor into going outdoors, the long walks in bush or mud, the heavy backpack and the pain and suffer of the feet. Not even mentioning the suffering and pain in mountaineering(which i am well aware of).

On my part i can attest that when i think about why it is we partake in these activities knowingly i can wander off into psychological and philosophical thoughts- for your benefit i will not share them with you. :)

Wise friends i have spoken to about this have always said to me "Well if you have the right Backpack then you will suffer less".........

"Right" is a hard term to interpret and without many to dispute a very personal term, this is where the romance of Bushcraft (hiking,trekking,wandering,tracking etc...) comes in, turning our experience into something personal and special, an experience that is in tangible to anyone else besides ourselves.

I went on trek but for me it was more of a journey back to youth since i have done this trek many times as a child(though never in a straight shoot and always with planned stops in hotels)

ca6bb107-3b20-4cac-9ea3-e35411f7c8d5.jpg

(that's me with the Monfort Fortress in the background)

Now to my knife, the Handle-always Warm, the blade always sharp- a tool that makes the journey easier and a material artifact that helps move me from the material world(interesting how that works).

Blade made By FGYT of this forum,6 mm thick 52100 steel flat ground. Handled by myself in red oak.

88036b91-8002-4c93-985e-7fc33de1538d.jpg

The blade has seen lots of use including: batoning, feather stick making, a quick try stick and lots of food prep. I strongly recommend some of these tasks for testing a blade, make as many notches as you can ! make as many tent pegs as you can ! cut some roots, food, get working !

68ef7e22-7d7e-4d9e-b444-a7dcd13a652b.jpg

(some old seasoned eucalyptus with many knots)

b8577e41-2e6e-4e2e-ac47-4f4b4cc4322a.jpg

From Stick to Feather

6de66e08-cf4e-4d0d-b253-f5e32d3b5494.jpg

e4e90047-adc3-4235-987b-c960c142ef62.jpg

The reason the blade looks like that

013581eb-326c-44c6-8b58-5c23d056bb45.jpg

Advantages-
Shape is better IMO than the classic woodlore style knives, belly before the tip seems to do a better job, tip seems stronger as well.
6 mm of thickness make it a great chopper and gives the knife an amazing forward feel when working without compromising fine work and detail.
flat ground blade(new for me) make it an excellent all around knife that excels with food prep.
When handled and sheathed yourself- best price for amazingly engineered tool.

I can only think of one Disadvantage,
Spine is inadequate for scraping bark or firesteel.

I love my Mora knife in a kydex sheath, it is a tool that i love and cherish but i find that with it i carry other tools that i love and cherish. I kind of want to carry only one, here in israel the DJP is all i need, no axe and no smaller knife for food prep.

Again i strongly recommend FGYT's work though he is very busy. I'm grateful to have some of his knives since i believe that there will be a two year wait for his work sometime soon :)

Its been a long two weeks, time for a beer !

41c80766-6572-4baf-b7aa-eded44be12c4.jpg

P.s mods please move if in the wrong place.

Johnnyboy1971

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 24, 2010
Yorkshire
How do you find the full flat grind on it.
I have a few of Duncan's knives but there all in his Flandi grind.

mikey.elefant

Forager
Dec 1, 2010
israel
I think Duncan is brilliant with his knives.
edahuzyh.jpg
I had the privilege to make a handle for a flandi djp and the grind is excellent, that knife went to a friend and he loves it.

I find the flat grind to be great, I can't seem to get the same fine edge that i am used to with scandi grinds. That said the edge seems to be so strong I feel I can throw anything at it. the flat grind on this knife can do any bushcraft task in hand. I prefer it since it's great with food and I always find myself doing more of that then making tent pegs or anything of that sort.

The combination of 6mm thickness with this grind is what makes it so great in my opinion

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE