DIY wool blanket coat/shirt tips?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

wattsy

Native
Dec 10, 2009
Lincoln
I've had a pile of wool blankets for a while now time to do something with them, I've got a bush shirt/coat and a swag in mind for them (after I've found some canvas). Looking for tips on hand sewing, what needles to go for, stitches etc, will be learning as I go. I have an old Singer that I plan to use for the swag but I want to learn how to do it by hand first so I can do repairs while out.

cheers
Matt

ally

Forager
Oct 15, 2003
lincoln
what about a poncho?

I remember reading somewhere in a tips and tricks (maybe ranger rick?) about making a poncho/blanket (!), sleeping bag

cut straight hole in centre with suitable fasteners (buttons or toggles?) so you can throw it over the head and maybe tie around the waist

IIRC fasteners used along the long side so it can be doubled over for a makeshift sleeping bag

:)

sasquatch

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2008
Northampton
I used dental floss and a leather working needle for mine, I just sharpened the needle first to speed things up. Took ages but was a good project to kill a month double stitching by hand.

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
John Fenna (of this site) sells a nice wee book witch features several bushcrafty projects including a bush shirt, worth a read I'd reckon. :)

birchwood

Nomad
Sep 6, 2011
Kent
I would use sailmakers needles which are designed to sew through canvas.
Then for the wool -saddlers needles which do not have a sharp point and are for sewing through soft stuff or a pre-made hole in leather.
Then learn to do saddle stitch :)

Oldwoodyrock

Dec 10, 2012
Pacific Northwest
Matt:
We Canadians have a long history of turning good wool blankets into capotes. Great winter wear, and easy to make. If you query capote pattern you will find many. All cuts are straight, so easy to cut out, and the only stitch you will need is the blanket stitch. My daughter can whip one out by hand in an afternoon.
Woody

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE