DIY wood gas stove

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
That will do you fine Haytor. :)

If it doesn't produce enough flame, just make more holes. The optimum area of holes will equal the area of the gap between the cans if you want to get really accurate.

haytor7

Tenderfoot
Dec 23, 2014
devon
thanks teepee, the one I made works but its not boiling a mug of water in under 6 minutes indoors. I like to refine it a tad.

Teepee

Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
It's peaceful, contemplative and keeps me grounded in a way that other stove systems don't. I do have a couple of meths stoves that I use with some degree of pleasure, but it's just not the same.........

The set of canisters I bought were catering-grade thick walled 306 stainless ( I think it's 306 ) and although a bugger to drill neatly the stove shows no sign of immenent demise, I'm happy to say.

I'm very lucky to be able to eat breakfast in the woods 5 or 6 days a week and have fallen into a nice little way of things with the twigs...........Zen? :)

Sounds idyllic mate. :)

I've allsorts of stoves and use them when out but nothing is as much fun as a twig burner. My hobo stove is by far my favourite.

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
Pi is your friend here; just getting your head round area and volumes of circles and cylinders in your individual design and then fettle it in real time by feel. It's well worth doing one in stainless they last for ages and the
canisters are ten-a-penny in the charity shops in loads of different sizes.......................

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
Yep, Hobo's are great; my tlud lives in the Hobo, and it's the Hobo that does the baking as that's the only thing I've found that the woodgas is not the best for.

Teepee

Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
thanks teepee, the one I made works but its not boiling a mug of water in under 6 minutes indoors. I like to refine it a tad.

Pleasure. :) yeah, sounds like it needs more tuning, maybe play around with the fuel stacking too, that makes a big difference.

Bishop

Jan 25, 2014
Pencader
Rummages around for vernier gauge....

Inner can Top/side wall : 6mm
Inner can Bottom : 10mm (no holes in side wall at bottom of inner can)
Outer can incoming air holes : 12mm

Gap between inner and outer can that forms the surrounding heat exchanger is about 5mm
This is what creates the magic and if you don't have tins with a snug'ish fit then pulling apart a metal pot scourer and using this as a loosely packed filler will improve heat transfer between the inner wall and woodgas prior to ignition.

Dannytsg

Native
Oct 18, 2008
England
Being perfectly honest I was in no way as precise as some of the comments made on this thread. I just watched the video, got the drill bits and set about making it. I must have gotten lucky for it to work so well first time around but it is a great little stove.

Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands
It's peaceful, contemplative and keeps me grounded in a way that other stove systems don't. I do have a couple of meths stoves that I use with some degree of pleasure, but it's just not the same.........

The set of canisters I bought were catering-grade thick walled 306 stainless ( I think it's 306 ) and although a bugger to drill neatly the stove shows no sign of immenent demise, I'm happy to say.

I'm very lucky to be able to eat breakfast in the woods 5 or 6 days a week and have fallen into a nice little way of things with the twigs...........Zen? :)

I must be the only one who wishes a Picture!

Edit :

Also hears mu effortIMG_20150108_173055_hdr.jpg

Well impressedthanks for posting, I think it could do with a bigger fuel chamber as it seems to be quite difficult to refuel.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE