DIY Water Filter

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tourist

Settler
Jun 15, 2007
Northants
Water filters for outdoor use can be expensive. I have seen them for anything between £30.00 and £70.00. So I put my expensive governement paid for university education - and city & guilds plumbing - to work:

Question: What is a water filter?
Answer: A tube with a filter media inside.

Question: Ok, so what is the filter media?
Answer: In the best case ceramic or carbon.

Question: Can you get all these pieces separately and put them together?
Answer: yes.

It is not really difficult. I looked around my garage and found some old water waste pipe that I could use as filter tube. For the connections I went to the builder market and for the activated carbon I went to the pet store and bought a huge pack of carbon for fish tank water filters.

Some plumbing pipe, some pipe connectors, pipe glue, carbon for fish tank filter, a ladies sock, some oven filter. Everything from the garage or builders store.

Putting together the pipe. 40mm ABS reducing down to 21mm. Pipe solvent for the permanent fixings and a compression joint to allow for easy dis-assembly.

Cutting the plastic to fit in the connector and putting some holes in it. Also, cutting the carbon oven filter to fit the connector. This will act as a pre-filter to collect large particulate matter - insects and plant matter. I used the oven filter because I could not find the poyester wadding I thought I had.

Pre-filter assembled in the connector.

Short top tube put in to hold pre-filter parts in place.

The new, clean ladies nylon sock in the lower filter tube.

Using a paper funnel to pour the carbon into the ladies sock.

Tie the sock closed, use a bow so that you can open it later when the carbon needs changing...........or use another sock.

All put together.

The whole project cost me around £7.00 and it is just as functional as a filter that would have cost around £50.00. Also, my pack of carbon has enough carbon in it to change the carbon in the filter 4 times – buying new carbon for an exoensive filter is also expensive – I saw one recently where the filter unit was £30.00 and one new carbon filter element £20.00.

How long does the carbon last? Well this carbon was for a fish tank and the instructions said to change the carbon once a month with the fish tank filter working full-time. So it should be more than useful for a week or two.

Hope its useful.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Superb thread Alex, five star rep from me fella :)

I`ve always refused to pay for an expensive filter, not because I`m tight but just because I wouldn`t use one enough to warrant the purchase.

I`ll definitely be having a crack at this. Can you tell us what diam pipes you used ?

Tourist

Settler
Jun 15, 2007
Northants
Thanks for the compliment Rich.

I used 40mm ABS waste pipe for the main body.

The little bit of pipe at the bottom is 21mm 'ish.

I had the ABS pipe knocking around the garage and decided on using that because it meant I could permanently glue in the reduction to 21mm.

ABS either has to be glued or connected with compression fittings which means it is ideal for permanently fixing the reduction but also allowing a compression fitting to be used to dis-assemble the unit.

I used the carbon oven filter as a pre-filter because I could not find the polyester wadding I thought I had tucked away somewhere. Anything that will not add to filtration problems will work as a pre-filter to get out the big floaty stuff.

I got the carbon from the fish department of the local Wy*val* garden centre, around a fiver for 3 bags in a box that will easily do for 4 or even 5 'filter changes.

Husky

Nomad
Oct 22, 2008
Sweden, Småland
Great post, thanks!

As I know nothing about waterfilters but have started thinking about getting one:

This filter "removes particles, poisons and pollutants" but not microbes and the water may still have to be boiled right?

As bushcrafting is about improvising, can charcoal be used as an emergency filter?

Pict

Settler
Jan 2, 2005
Central Brazil
clearblogs.com
That looks like a great filter. I have several home made filters that I use in Brazil. The one that gets the most use is very simple, with no ceramic element. I also have others that use pre-made cartridges adapted much like the one you show.

Here's the video explanation of the filter I use most often.

Home Made Water Filter

Mac

Tourist

Settler
Jun 15, 2007
Northants
Thanks Mac. :)

I developed this from one I made for a survival application - where I actually made the carbon too. Just like making charcloth but using wood instead of cloth.

I considered using a water jug cartridge type filter in a pipe but thought I would still go for loose carbon for this one. I shall make one with a cartridge filter and post it here when its done - may have to use 50mm pipe for that though.

Tourist

Settler
Jun 15, 2007
Northants
Great post, thanks!

As I know nothing about waterfilters but have started thinking about getting one:

This filter "removes particles, poisons and pollutants" but not microbes and the water may still have to be boiled right?

As bushcrafting is about improvising, can charcoal be used as an emergency filter?

Read up on activated carbon and it will tell you what it might remove. I had to do a whole essay on filtration for my Advanced Plumbing course a few years ago and carbon is pretty amazing stuff. Did you know a gram of activated carbon has over 500sqm of surface area - depending on the quality of the carbon.

The terms carbon and charcol in this context are generally interchangeable. Remember I'm a plumber not a chemist.

The military teaches the use of burnt firewood (very basic charcol) to filter water on some courses. You either use a layer system or just put the charcol in a sock put some grass or moss on top and filter your water through that.

Melonfish

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 8, 2009
Warrington, UK
this is flippin incredible!
i've got a meter of 40mm sat in the front loo after i redid the bathroom
time to put it to use!

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
That looks like a great filter. I have several home made filters that I use in Brazil. The one that gets the most use is very simple, with no ceramic element. I also have others that use pre-made cartridges adapted much like the one you show.

Here's the video explanation of the filter I use most often.

Home Made Water Filter

Mac

I've seen your filter elsewhere Mac, you should post it here?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE