DIY VAWT

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
No idea. Have I? What is it?

It’s just a series of capital letters. YMMV and you might know what it is, but IMHO a discussion is better opened with a description of what you’re asking FWIW.

Reactions: Kepis

Bazzworx

Mar 5, 2009
North Wilts
Have you seen any of Kris Harbours videos on YouTube? His home made turbine started off as a VAWT he then changed the design to a HAWT. He doesn't really show the design but has some very interesting points in it. he's done a few videos on it, the VAWT videos are very old and quite poor quality but worth a watch.

Reactions: MartinK9 and TeeDee
Jun 23, 2020
Northamptonshire, UK
No idea. Have I? What is it?

It’s just a series of capital letters. YMMV and you might know what it is, but IMHO a discussion is better opened with a description of what you’re asking FWIW.
A quick Google gives me "vertical-axis wind turbine (VAWT)" I assume this is what the OP is referring to? but not 100% sure.

Reactions: Nice65

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
I guess TeeDee is thinking that if you have to ask what a VAWT is you won't be able to answer his question :)

It's a Vertical Axis Wind Turbine :)
I was indeed ripping in a bit :D

TeeDee knows me well enough, my point is, if the thread was titled ‘Teach me about Do it Yourself Vertical Axis Wind Turbines’ it would definitely draw more interest from those who might have experience and also offer an education to those that don‘t know what he means without having to google it.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Have you seen any of Kris Harbours videos on YouTube? His home made turbine started off as a VAWT he then changed the design to a HAWT. He doesn't really show the design but has some very interesting points in it. he's done a few videos on it, the VAWT videos are very old and quite poor quality but worth a watch.

Thanks Bazz - I will check it out.

grizzlyj

Nov 10, 2016
NW UK
A neighbour bought a smallish one which lasted about a year before the bearings fell apart. But he bought that rather than a "normal" one so that if the wind got a bit mental he could "easily" lower a dustbin over the madly spinning blades to stop it exploding. Never got to try so he still has his fingers :)

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Really glad on reflection that we have cleared the abbreviations of D.I.Y and V.A.W.T.
You’re so grumpy sometimes we could be related :D

I knew what DIY was, I had to do it to find out what a VAWT is. And a little wiser for it too. :)

swyn

Life Member
Nov 24, 2004
Eastwards!
Old wind pump type windmills that were relatively common on farms 80 years ago and very common in Australia have a mechanism that swivels their tails which in turn puts the blades edge-on to the wind thus reducing the surface area.
S

Reactions: Toddy

TLM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
I once read somewhere that those old waterpumping windmills are among the few that really have earner their pay back. :)

The others are the ones actually used for milling.

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
Ok,

So R M-S has been showing some more interesting stuff.

I’m going to see if I can make a Ugrinsky turbine, either standard or 3D print a helix version - not sure if the printer I have access too is big enough to cope!
The standard one should be relatively easy.

Reactions: TeeDee

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Ok,

So R M-S has been showing some more interesting stuff.

I’m going to see if I can make a Ugrinsky turbine, either standard or 3D print a helix version - not sure if the printer I have access too is big enough to cope!
The standard one should be relatively easy.

Give tim n a nudge, I think he may has access to a larger printer.

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
It’s started….

7-B3-F6997-B931-44-B8-957-C-8-BDC085417-E6.jpg

Reactions: ESpy and TeeDee

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE