DIY Tarp

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

theoctagon

Nomad
Sep 3, 2010
Yorkshire
I've been thinking about heading out with just a tarp and bivi but after a quick trial run with my hammock tarp I decided I needed something a little smaller. I didn't really want to splash out on a new tarp as I'm not really sure how much use it will get, plus I quite like the idea of being able to make your own gear.

As such I asked the girlfriend for a quick lesson with the sewing machine, scoured the internet to get some ideas, then went ahead and ordered the necessary bits and bobs.

Once it all arrived, and after around 3-4 hours this is what I came up with:

photo2.jpg

It's a simple rectangle approx. 1.5x2.7m with tie outs in each corner and one along each edge. The tie outs are triple stitched and reinforced with additional material and seem pretty secure.

Given this is my first time making anything like this i'm pretty pleased with how it's turned out, I've also quite enjoyed making it and it didn't cost much.

I'm not sure how much it weighs as I don't have any scales at the moment, I was hoping for around 300g inc the lines and micro line locs but we shall see, it does pack down nice and small though. The photo below shows the new tarp next to my 3x3m TW tarp I use with the hammock:

photo3-1.jpg

A couple of alternative pitches:

photo3.jpg

photo4.jpg

photo2-1.jpg

Still a bit loose here!

photo1-1.jpg

I'm hoping I'll get chance to use it in the next couple of weeks, I'll update this thread when I do

Apologies for the crappy pics!

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
Nice work there mate.:)

You done good, especially in 3-4 hours with reinforcements and a noob at it.goodjob

You know this is only the start? :lmao:

mousey

Jun 15, 2010
NE Scotland
Real nice, looks impressive for a first attempt, neater than my first go anyway. Packs up nice an small too.

Opal

Native
Dec 26, 2008
Liverpool
It looks the biz to me, the only thing I can/cannot see in the "crappy pics" is the close up of the stitching.

theoctagon

Nomad
Sep 3, 2010
Yorkshire
Many thanks for the replies, pretty pleased with the tarp, just hope it holds up/gets used!

You know this is only the start? :lmao:

I fear you may be right! Already thinking about what to make next, any suggestions?

A bit on the small side for me, but very nice all the same.

I certainly wouldn't want it any smaller than this! I've got my 3x3m tarp tho when a larger one is necessary

Nicely done, what fabric did you use?

The material I used for the tarp is 2oz PU coated ripstop nylon

It looks the biz to me, the only thing I can/cannot see in the "crappy pics" is the close up of the stitching.

Here you go:

tarp.jpg

By no means the neatest but not bad for a first effort?! I got better as I went along

As above the material used was 2oz PU coated nylon so hopefully it should be pretty rain proof. I used 16mm grosgrain for the tie out loops, all held together with Gutermann thread. The lines are spectra cord with micro line locs, secured with Alpkit pegs bought in the recent sale.

Thanks again

Teepee

Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
For a noob, your stitching is fantastic IMO. Hat off to you mate. Are you sure you did it all? :D

Suggestions for the next projects; hammock, then a hammock top quilt, then an underquilt.

mousey

Jun 15, 2010
NE Scotland
When I made my first tarp I used 1oz uncoated ripstop nylon [from fabrics n stuff - no affiliation etc] but at 1 quid a metre was cheap enough if I made a mess of it. I treated it with some fabsil I had lying around, not used it in any bad weather so not overly sure about it's water-tightness but in light rains I think it'll be ok. It's nice being so thin I can see the stars through it at night if the weathers good:) It is approx 2.2m wide 2.8m long and weights 860g including a 15m long ridgle line, guys and 8x 8" long steel pegs- I may extend to give a bit more cover.

Last edited:

theoctagon

Nomad
Sep 3, 2010
Yorkshire
For a noob, your stitching is fantastic IMO. Hat off to you mate. Are you sure you did it all? :D

Suggestions for the next projects; hammock, then a hammock top quilt, then an underquilt.

Thank you, i'm really pleased with the stitching to be honest, it's far better than I thought i'd manage! The ripstop did kind of help as I could use the pattern in the fabric as a guideline.

I'm considering making a top quilt next, still not sure tho, already have a DIY underquilt, although I can't really take responsibility for making that one

That is really really nice I think I may have a crack at my own. Is that the best material to use or are there lighter ones?

There are lighter fabrics out there, as mousey has said above there are lighter non coated fabrics you could use and then treat yourself, alternatively you could try silnylon, which is silicon impregnated nylon and is very light weight. I've read that it's pretty difficult to work with though as it's quite slippery.

One of the DIY tarps I found online when having a look for ideas was made from cuben fiber, this stuff is seriously strong and weighs about 17.4gm/sqm (0.51oz/sqyd), it's pretty expensive though at about £16 per yard! When funds allow i'll be ordering some to have a play with.

Mousey - have you any pics of your tarp?

shaggystu

Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
tarp.jpg

......By no means the neatest but not bad for a first effort?! I got better as I went along.....

first try :Wow: well done chap, i spend a lot of time telling people that they should have a bash at fabric engineering (like sewing, but it has the word engineering in it so it's more manly, grrrr)
because it's so easy, you've done an outstanding job there of proving me right, cheers!

as for the next project, how about a groundsheet or a bivi bag to go underneath the tarp?

cheers

stuart

Swallow

Native
May 27, 2011
London
Holy unreal stitching Batman! You may have missed your vocation.

Have you considered a gear hammock as a project?

@Mousey nothing to be embarrassed about with yours.

theoctagon

Nomad
Sep 3, 2010
Yorkshire
Holy unreal stitching Batman! You may have missed your vocation

Thanks! I'm still surprised how well it turned out to be honest

@Teepee - I've been looking through some of your MYOG projects, very impressive!

@Mousey - As Swallow has said above, nothing to be embarrassed about there

I got around to weighing the tarp tonight, for the tarp, 4x180cm lines, 2x270cm lines, 6xmini line locs, plus stuff sack, 300g

Tarpweight_zpsc0fafbca.jpg

Pretty pleased with that

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE