DIY spoon knife

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

AndyE

Feb 9, 2011
Ireland
Hi

I was cutting some timber in work today with an old blunt hard point saw , just as i was about to throw the saw in the bin i had an eureka moment

I recycled part of the blade into a spoon knife ,,, and its really easy to do

I should stress that this was only a proof of concept . .I literally threw this together , but it works so I'll have a proper go at making one this week

Using a 4 1/2" angle grinder, I cut a 1/2 " strip of steel approx 4" long from the old saw ( sandvik 244 )

Roughly profiled it into a blade shape and again using the angle grinder i ran a bevel down the blade portion of the strip

I then cut a 4" section from an old axe shaft to use as a handle .. attached the blade to the handle by drilling three 1/8" holes to about 1 1/2" depth and then widened them to form a slot for the blade

put the "blade" into the vice and tapped the handle down onto it

with me so far ? :D

cleaned up the bevel on a wet-stone . and then stropped it . to get the curve on the blade I bent it in the vice a 1/2" section at a time ..

and this is the prototype

IMGP3164.JPG

As i mentioned above this in only a proof of concept ,, but it works and works well

IMGP3169.JPG

Edge retention is grand so far ... it slices through the beech pictured above very nicely . I need to experiment with a more acute bend to the blade. but it works fine and all it cost was my time

Andy

oldtimer

Sep 27, 2005
Oxfordshire and Pyrenees-Orientales, France
Great- you've given me my own eureka moment! I have a William Rodgers "Bushman's Friend" knife which I have had for over 60 years. It's been sitting in the drawer doing nothing except give me memories because years of sharpening reduced the blade to a mere sliver of its former self. Thanks to you, I have had the idea of bending the blade into a spoon knife- a bit of kit that I lack- and giving my old friend a new lease of useful life.

rancid badger

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
That's the way to do it! I've tried loads of different commercial spoon knives and not found one that suits me yet. I've used home made spoon knives for almost all of the 200+ spoons etc i've made over the last 10 years.

If you can get a tighter curve on the blade, you'll be able to do deeper bowls on your spoons, as well as cups and bowls themselves.

Well done

atb

R.B.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE