DIY Pressurized Side Burner Meths Stove-Picture Heavy

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

kato

Tenderfoot
Oct 18, 2006
NW England
Things used = Marker pen,curved nail scissors,compass and pencil,single hole paper punch (cost £1.50 from stationary shop)and a tin can, a redbull can would work but the one I used has a flat bottom not concave so a little more space for fuel, the can i used is also made of a thicker gauge metal stronger than alu.
045.jpg

Measure up from the bottom 4cm and use compass to mark a line then 1cm down from the top,go over in marker pen to give a guide for cutting.
047.jpg

Marked ready for cutting, I used small curved nail scissors as it was all I had,a Dremel type tool would be great for this.
051.jpg

Parts after cutting and a line marked 1cm down from top of big piece to give a guide for holes to be punched.
054.jpg

Line up punch so top of hole will be on the bottom of the guide line.
057.jpg

I put a hole at 12 o'clock position then 3 then 6 then 9 and then one in between each of these ending up with eight holes total.
059.jpg

Place the slim part on a firm surface with the drinking hole facing up then put the big piece on top.
060.jpg

Push down hard on top to make slim piece pop inside the big piece.
063.jpg

This is how it looks when done.
066.jpg

Fill with meths and the little well on top to help charge it and light.
068.jpg

Billy on top causes the pressure that makes the flames come out the punched holes.
070.jpg

Will bring a pint of water to rolling boil in 8mins.
073.jpg

And keep on boiling it for over 10mins more.
082.jpg

Two foil takeaway trays cut up to make a wind shield.
090.jpg

Add two large paper clips to hold it together.
093.jpg

Wind shield.
092.jpg

A great light weight addition to any pack as a spare stove or as part of a brew kit for when out walking.

kato

Tenderfoot
Oct 18, 2006
NW England
Thanks for the comments.

Great aren't they, been making them for years, just incase you've not met Tinny - the God of all things coke can...

http://www.minibulldesign.com/

Have fun and watch your eye brows (lost mine making a meths lamp! Oh well!

Did you see the Gramweenies kitchen kit on his site $47.00 for about $5 worth of bits n bobs.
:lmao: Flaming pots of meths and facial hair dont get on well.

Looks good. http://zenstoves.net/Stoves.htm is the other good place for design info.

They're addictive. I'll just try smaller holes etc...

Thats the site I got the design from, its a great site for homemade stoves.
I might try smaller holes on this design but I think the flames might be a bit to big for use with a billy or cup but would be great for a large base pan.

That looks a lot stronger than the coke can models! Nicely done.

Cheers Greg, that was the reason I chose this can as it is a lot thicker metal than most Alu cans.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE