DIY powdered egg

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
How very practical :approve: Simple, straightforward instructions :cool:

Site seems sound too :)
No eotwawki, just sensible precautions and planning for adverse circumstances........like floods and snowstorms.

Thanks for the link :)

cheers,
Toddy

I would worry about long term storage if you are just going to make it up to go camping/hiking within a couple weeks or so I think it would be OK to give it a go...
I cant see it being like eggs will be interested in hearing how well it works out I have heard about doing this years ago just never tested it out for myself yet....

I think when they are making it in the commercial factory setting they fine sprayed in a vacuum chamber to dehydrate them so its not the same procedure.... and not cooked but I could be wrong has been a long time since I investigated dried egg...

we are unable to get it in Canada they have it in the US but will not ship across the boarders.... why?no idea.... I did get some about 20+ years ago at MEC but they have not carried the product in years and years....

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I think the reason they won't be allowed to export it to Canada might have to do with the virtual prevalence of e-coli in chickens and on their eggs.
Depends on whether the egg is thoroughly cooked I suppose, but e coli can be surprisingly resistant to being killed off.

cheers,
Toddy

spiritwalker

Native
Jun 22, 2009
wirral
i often wonder about the economics behind drying food in the oven surely its going to cost a few bob (given the ever rising cost of energy) to have your oven running for a few hours. Has anyone ever done a cost conversion to doing this over using a dedicated food dehydrator as i was thinking of buying the latter for making boil in the bag camp meals?

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I haven't done a cost comparison, but HWMBLT reckons that the dehydrator we have (one of the £30 ones from QVC, most of us who have them recommend them as well worth the outlay, not fancy, just simple, straightforward, five trays) burns about as much as a 200W bulb. It can take most of the day to dry five packed trays of apples mind you, but it just sits quietly whirring away.
He reckons the oven is a lot more since the door gets left slightly open to help evaporated moisture escape.

Sorry, not terribly accurate :sigh:

cheers,
Toddy

Matt.S

Native
Mar 26, 2008
Exeter, Devon
The cost of electricity varies from household to household, but I usualy figure on 10p/KWH (unit). A 200W bulb will thus cost one unit/KWH to run for 5 hours. Electric ovens are a completely different kettle of fish, considering they need a dedicated, high-current line from the consumer box. Figure several units per hour.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Is that all it costs to run ? It looks like the same kind as mine :approve:
I've got pears and pear leather in mine just now, the house smells lovely:D

You're an evil man Rik, :sigh: it's amazing how many things you don't need until you start wandering through a site like that :rolleyes:

cheers,
M......off for a virtual shopping trip

spiritwalker

Native
Jun 22, 2009
wirral
groovy then i think ill opt for a dehydrator due to the safety aspect with the littlen running around the house at those kind of prices it seems well worth doing especially for camp meals since they retail around 2.50 -4.50 a bag mind you pot noodles still weigh in at 90p or so lol

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Mine gets a lot of use :) We're fond of dried fruit, and this way I know it's not full of preservatives, I can use up a glut from the garden and I can make fruit leathers at a price I can afford.

If you like jerky it can be expensive since the stuff seems to be incredibly more-ish. Folks seem to make it and guzzle it the same day :D

Dried veggies are best thought about before hand. Cut small for speedy rehydration, and they whizz up in a cleaned out coffee grinder to make great cuppa soups or sauces to be added to noodles. Peppers and tomatoes work, but you can end up with tough bits of the skin. Roast and peel first I reckon.

Fatty and oily things don't do well. Though I have made croutons in olive oil, drained them off and then dried them crispy so that I had them to add to soups.
I also know someone who did fried bacon cut into pieces in it. He managed to eat his way through two 400g packs of smoked back in an hour :D
He said the fatty bits were brilliant.

The powdered veggies make a good addition to doughballs (dumplings) in campfire stews, too.
Mushrooms are excellent and a fraction of the cost of bought ones.

cheers,
Toddy

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
When drying vegetables, I cheat and use frozen 1Kg packs from Iceland stores.

Reason? You have a kilo of veg ready prepped, ready blanched, often 'fresher' than supermarket fresh (thats been sitting on a shelf a few days) and the price is right.

These work very well

Peas (petis pois are great0
Sliced carrots
Sweet corn
Sliced green beans
Diced swede

I use fresh mushrooms and peppers. Tomatoes dry well but as they shrink to nothing are 'dryer intensive' you have to dry loads to get a usable quantity.

I buy onions ready dried because of the smell and stopped drying curry sauce after my kitchen ended up smelling like a Balti house for weeks.

Fresh minced beef is great, dry fry, rinse off fat with boiling water drained through a colander and dry, these 'Hamburger Rocks' make a great base for a curry or spag bol. Chicken is OK too.

mmc1

Feb 23, 2006
Al US
If you want powdered eggs for baking you can dehydrate egg beaters ( egg substitutes). They dry up really well on the fruit leather trays. No need to cook just pour them straight from the container. Most are pasteurized so should be safer than eggs. As they have no yolks and very little fat they keep well.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
You had me utterly confused for a moment there. Egg beaters here mean the utensils used to whisk eggs. :)

I understand that they're a kind of liquid egg ? Rare as hens teeth here.

I've just Googled the eggbeaters, I didn't realise that they didn't have any yolk :confused:
Why ? It's the best bit of the egg ? isn't it ?

A huge proportion of eggs sold for domestic use in the UK are free range, many folks won't use anything else so that's kind of agin them too.

Do the eggbeaters taste alright ?

cheers,
Toddy

I have used it in the past and it tastes OK to me but great idea of trying that out in the dehydrator may just give that a try...

If you want powdered eggs for baking you can dehydrate egg beaters ( egg substitutes). They dry up really well on the fruit leather trays. No need to cook just pour them straight from the container. Most are pasteurized so should be safer than eggs. As they have no yolks and very little fat they keep well.

mmc1

Feb 23, 2006
Al US
They are in every store in the states so I guess a just assumed you guys had them too.
Yeah they taste ok. I mainly use them for baking though. They don't have any yolk for the low fat no cholesterol crowd.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I'm a housewife at heart.

I know that skimmed milk means someone's selling the cream after selling the milk at full price having persuaded folks it's worth it because it's healthier :bluThinki

I want to know what they're doing with all the yolks ? and who's making money off them ? :bandit:

cheers,
Toddy

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE